Tuning for long range

This is a classic example of what to look for

View attachment 82475
Hello Alex,
Thank you for a tremendously helpful post. On a completely different subject, I have a question 4U: I have been using Federal Match primers for my 6.5-284 and my 7mag. I understand that the military now has a contract with Federal and the civilian supply of these primers has dried up. What do you recommend as an alternative primer?
Thanx,
Doug

Ladder test for 6 Dasher hunting rifle, 23" #3 Contour Krieger 1 in 8 twist barrel, Leupold VX-R/LRV reticle 4-12X50 scope. Scope adjusted so aim point is not showing on the photo. No pressure signs. Sorry that I did not make notation for velocities on the target. The only velocity I know now is for the load that I chose. Which node would you guys pick? I'll keep my choice secret for a bit. Should also mention Rem 7 1/2 primers since I did not write that on the target.

View attachment 83028
OK, I've been busy, but thought that I would bring this back to the top and present my case for the choice I made based on this ladder test. I went with the node at numbers 9 and 10. I'm loading 34.3 grains of Re 15 in my #3 contour hunting Dasher. I have some history with the 6 Dasher, though certainly nowhere near the extent of Alex. My wife and I both have Dashers in target versions with HV contour barrels. All of our Dashers were chambered using the same reamer. The load I chose for target Dasher was 33.8 grains of Re 15. My wife's is shooting 32.5 grains. When I say that I have not observed any pressure signs with the 34.3 grains of Re 15 in my hunting version Dasher, I'm talking primers, bolt lift, and case expansion near the web. I don't have any measurements for the cartridge cases from my wife's Dasher because I have all of hers reloaded and ready to shoot right now. I will post below 3 random samplings fired from my target Dasher and my hunting Dasher.
33.8 grains Re 15 Target Dasher
1) .4714"
2) .4714"
3) .4713"
34.3 grains Re 15 Hunting Dasher
1) .4701"
2) .4701"
3) .4702"
It is very important that you remember that these loads may not be safe in your rifle!!! I worked up to these loads and determined they were safe in my rifles. I would never load anything showing pressure signs and use them for my everyday shooting. In my hunting 23" barrel Dasher I am looking for all the velocity I can get but it must be accurate! Once I picked my desired load, I shot some groups and tested seating depth. On a hunting rifle I start at .005" off the lands and work back from there. (I also sort my bullets for BTOG) You may want to start your hunting load tests at .010" off the lands? Makes a heckuva mess when you pull the bolt back on a loaded case and the bullet remains in the barrel. Let me remind you that I shot this ladder test in 75 F degree weather. Unless global warming ramps up in the next 10 years, I will never be hunting in temps exceeding 75 degrees. I am also certain that I will never fire enough shots in this barrel to wear it out. If I do, so be it, I'll replace it and start my testing over. I just want to restate that these loads may not be safe in your rifle! As an example, I have a 25-06 n a heavy version fluted Shilen barrel that safely shoots 2 grains more H4831SC than a #3 contour Rock Creek chambered with the same reamer, by the same gunsmith. My brass was taking a beating when I attempted to shoot the same load in the #3 contour barrel. I was highly disappointed, but no way around it. Work up your loads safely!

What do you do when switching lots of powder? Just another quick ladder test since you already know your seating?

I have some data I would like input on.

Range 200 yards. Decent conditions.
6.5 Sherman Short.
150 smk s
Reloader 26 55.5-58.5 grains.
2 shots each charge weight
Pressure signs at 58.5
8ACC9EC9-417F-4632-A572-20DB08875ABB.jpeg
9927C3F7-2623-46F3-802C-4CC29E2CE4D2.jpeg

Rich I would have to measure the coal . I seated them 10k off the lands, and they fit in the mag, which is a short action opened up a bit. They are just a hair longer than a 147 eldm

Those numbers at top are just reference numbers off my CBTO gauge. Not a number that has anything to do with actual coal.