Tune 700 trigger or buy Jewell?

MOA

Well I just got my rem 338UM back from remington. I sent it in becasue I blew the front of the bolt off (not just the extractor). While replacing the bolt they decided to remove my tuned trigger (3#) and sell me ($24.95 COD) a new trigger with a 8 pound pull. Needless to say I'm ****ed, but what can I say, they just threw in a new bolt for free. Anyways now I'm considering a Jewell but wanted to gather some feedback first. Is the $200 price tag justified? I mostly shoot the gun from the bench and hope to use it next season as my LR elk rifle. Whose using Jewells around here?

I have a Jewell on my 22BR bench rifle and like it very much, 4oz. pull is sweet. Seems very well made. The trigger arm you pull is alittle narrow, not like the wider Rem. trigger. Rifle Basix has a trigger more like the Rem. with a pull weight adjustable from 8oz to 1 1/2# for less than $125. You might check into one of those if you like a wider trigger.

I use the Jewel on my hunting and target rifles. You can get an A,B,or C spring, and shift the range that the trigger will adjust to. Use the light spring for the bench work, and the heavier spring for hunting in rugged terrain.

Keep in mind that any trigger with a sideplate design needs to be kept clean and dry, or it will need regular maintenance to insure safe operation.
wink.gif

I also got a jewel trigger on my gun with the bottom safety. Kinda like the bottom safety. Its set a hair under 2 lb. Works real good, but I only shoot it from the bench.

Got one on my 7mmRUM. It's set at just over 1 lb & is as smoooooooth as Bill Clinton after an intern in the Oval Office.
tongue.gif

The best thing about Jewells IMHO is once they're set (by a competent 'smith) they don't vary. No creep, no excessive overtravel, same pull after hundreds of rounds. Sweet!
grin.gif

My father has an HVR on his, I have just lightened mine to 1.5 to 2.5 lbs and got rid of the creep and overtravel. Works for me, but dads is nice. He has his at 2 lbs and I would go for a 1 lb if I had his. A couple of mine won't go below 2 lbs reliably with just basic adjustment so I'm stuck.

Mine works incredible from a couple of ounces to over 4 lbs. What I like is the fact you can set it light for PD town work or make it a little heavier for whitetail hunting back east.. I set mine about 1.5 for LR work on larger critters in cold weather...
get a trigger sclae and set to your liking...

every custom rifle I have built will get one.. once you shoot one.. it is hard to pull anything else...
everyone always told me that..( I didn't beleive them ) but now that I have one ( another on the way ) I say it to everyone too...

I have a jewell on my .223 700 rem., excellent 2 oz. crisp precise trigger. I reccomend them, you can get a cheaper trigger, and that is what you will have!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

I installed a Jewell HVR on my custom .338 ultramag. A tricked out Rem trigger is nice, but once you shoot the Jewell theres no going back!

I am interested in a Jewell trigger, but cannot find a web site for their products.

I would like to learn the differences between the various models and study the specs.

Does anyone have a web address that might be able to provide this information?

Thanks.

Holmes

I don't remember the website but here is their address and phone number. Jewell Triggers 3620 ST. Hwy 123, San Marcos,Texas 78666. 512-353-2999; fax 512-392-0543.

Didn't enev know that they were that close to me. I'll be in San Marcos on tuesday and I'll see if I can get the web site.

Thanks for the info, Texas.

I found a web site for Jewell with a Ferret search, but the site will not come up.

I'll give them a call tomorrow and get some answers.

Regards,

Holmes

You might first ask your 'smith too look at adjusting your M700 trigger. Mine told me, that some adjust very well, while others don't. I got lucky with mine, it will adjust way too light for my comfort. When he first sent it back to me, the trigger would fire before I could feel it while wearing a light pair of cotton gloves. I had to increase the pull a pound or two.

I ended up spending $50 on a trigger job, and the rest of the money went on new bullets and powder.

[ 01-27-2003: Message edited by: Tim Behle ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts