Tumbling media stuck in casings

skipglo

LRH Team Member
I made a newbie mistake. I found corncob bedding on clearance at my local pet store, so I bought it. Its was a larger granular than normal, but polished my brass really well. However, the pieces are now stuck inside my cases. I should mention that the cases still have the spent primers in them. Am I the only one who's ever done this? What should I do about digging out the media? Can I knock the primers out by hand and then go through the primer pocket? I feel like an idiot.
Don't believe badthirtyone...you are definitely the only person that has ever done this and should feel terrible....just a minute....HEY HONEY CAN YOU PASS ME ANOTHER PIPE CLEANER PLEASE! GOTTA CLEAN OUT SOME BRASS! ( Try an old-fashioned pipe cleaner) 😊 Smoking pipe that is....not a 4" sewer pipe!

Greyfox

I have used Lyman corn cob media with good success for decades. It cleans the outside of the case well and leaves a thin carbon layer on the inner neck surface for consistent friction when seating. I will leave the spent primers in when tumbling, cleaning the primer pockets after sizing, using my RCBS case prep station. When removing the cases from the tumbler I grip about a dozen cases in my hand, base up, mouths down over the tumbler, and give the base of the brass a whack or two with tumbler lid knocking out any residual media back into the tumbler.

Seabeeken

The toughest decap die ive ever used is a Mighty Armory. Ive broken pins in rcbs, lee, redding, but never a MA. The die can also be set up as a primer pocket swager.

HunterMann

LRH Team Member
Decap, Tumble. INSPECT. Then size, ultrasonic to clean off lube and clean primer pocket. INSPECT. Pretty much what has been said before. I use walnut from the pet store with a little Nufinish.
I like to inspect, decap, and clean, in batches as soon I get back from the range. That way the brass is ready and waiting for the next operation when ever I feel like it. I've had good luck with the Lee decapper dies. They are always mounted and ready in a dedicated C shaped press. Better clearance and access with the C shape. You don't need a lot of force to decap, so any inexpensive press will do. Just remember that many small rifle primer precision cases (6mm PPC, ARC, and others) use a small flash hole and you should user the smaller diameter decapping pin die.

340PR

LRH Team Member
Avoid the hassle, don't tumble your brass...
One of my mentors told me that I should only tumble my brass if I want to impress the shooter next to me with how shiny it is.
I buy quality brass and load up to 20 times (losing a few along the way). I use "One Shot" sizing lube, and the brass is pretty clean after wiping it off. I also brush my necks.
While down the rabbit hole, I water weighed new and fired cases to see the impact of powder residue etc. Saw no variance measuring to .02gn on my AND scale.
FYI

Varmint Hunter

This ^^^^^^^^^. I gave away my vibratory machine and all of the media I had. I rarely clean rifle brass anymore. I do have a SS pin tumbler which I will "occasionally" use but its mostly for pistol or AR-15 brass; .223, SOCOM, etc.