Tumbler Vs ultrasonive Vs BOTH

Bigeclipse

Ok guys...so I have a tumbler and ultrasonic I have been using. I am wondering as far as accuracy is concerned, do you really need to use both? Can you just use tumbler?

The reason I ask is I have noticed that brass coming out of tumbler looks really shiny and pretty clean. But when it comes out of my ultrasonic cleaner it can look spotty...not sure what these spots are but they are weird looking. I follow the the recipe of 50% distilled water/50% white vinigar with a couple drops of dish soap...there was an article floating online how this combo was rated near top when compared to expensive off the shelf brand cleaners for brass. Again, not sure what these light swirly looking blotches are and if they even matter (I really dont care about brass looks, just accuracy).

I quit using the tumbler and the ultrasonic cleaner and went with the stainless steel media. The brass is now as clean as can be, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Big, I use both, IOSSO ultrasonic solution and lizard nutshell litter with IOSSO polish. Would really like to try the stainless. Maybe Christmas.

When I was using my ultrasonic cleaner ( before I started using stainless steel media) I was using the same mix for my ultrasonic cleaner. At first I was having spots on my brass. I then made sure I rinsed my brass really well with cold water and then dried the brass with a towel immediately after the rinse. That pretty much stopped the spots from appearing. I read somewhere that it was the vinegar that was causing the brass to spot. I hope this helps, my brass looked like crap the first time or two until I started rinsing them, after that they were nice and clean with no spots. If you can afford the stainless media and tumbler, that's the route I would go. I haven't used my regular tumbler or ultrasonic cleaner since I got my thumlers tumbler and stainless media over a year ago.

When I was using my ultrasonic cleaner ( before I started using stainless steel media) I was using the same mix for my ultrasonic cleaner. At first I was having spots on my brass. I then made sure I rinsed my brass really well with cold water and then dried the brass with a towel immediately after the rinse. That pretty much stopped the spots from appearing. I read somewhere that it was the vinegar that was causing the brass to spot. I hope this helps, my brass looked like crap the first time or two until I started rinsing them, after that they were nice and clean with no spots. If you can afford the stainless media and tumbler, that's the route I would go. I haven't used my regular tumbler or ultrasonic cleaner since I got my thumlers tumbler and stainless media over a year ago.

Thanks for the tip! As for stainless tumbler...that wont happen for a few more seasons. I have others things of priority before that haha

I have gone to stainless myself, no turning back. In the ultra you may have to much soap, it only takes about 1/4 to1/2 teaspoon in my large Lyman. Also brand matters, use dawn. Take them out and dry without touching each other. Let us know.

I have gone to stainless myself, no turning back. In the ultra you may have to much soap, it only takes about 1/4 to1/2 teaspoon in my large Lyman. Also brand matters, use dawn. Take them out and dry without touching each other. Let us know.

Followed your guys advice...no more spots...thanks!!!

I used the ultrasonic cleaner and was not too impressed with the process or the results. I now use a cheap tumbler with walnut shells and a cap of NuFinish(sp) and am very pleased with the results. Eventually, I would like to go to the stainless steel media tumbling system.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.