Tubeguns any good?

Topshot

I have seen some nice Tube Guns built on Barnard actions and was wondering what the advantages there are with them in comparison to conventional stocked rifles?

They seem to make accurate long range target rifles. What is the effect of the tube?

Interesting.

How is the Tube fitted that it can stiffen the action? Is the scope fitted to the action or to the Tube?

Actions flex under the stresses of the round going off.Theoretically a stiffer action can aid in accuracy.

It can be just screwed in through the scopemount to the action or screwed in the same way and epoxied in as well.

A radial recoil lug can be used also.This distributes the recoil force evenly over the front of the action.

Tubeguns are popular in positional shooting cause of their fit and adjustability. It's all about the ergonomics.

+1 Stiles
My favorite gun to shoot is a Tubb2000.
If fits me personally with angle of recoil pad, a 7deg rifle cant(including trigger shoe), and 2-stage anschutz trigger.
The big disadvantage, which negates any hunting use, is weight. Mine weighs 17lbs with NXS scope. A little more with Harris bipod, and rear mono-pod.

I don't find the gun to be any more accurate than a typical custom -off a bipod. But it can be shot off hand very accurately(from someone who drinks 5 fewer pots of coffee a day).

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.