Tubb Final Finish New Gun?

Autorotate19

I just bought a weatherby accumark in 7mm rem mag and I was wondering what you guys thought of the Tubb Final Finish Bore Conditioning Ammo? I searched around and found some good info but most was with already used/shot a lot barrels that had fouling problems. I was wondering what you guys think of doing it with a brand new barrel? Also the accumark barrel should be pretty good quality but I think it will break it in a lot easier. Thanks

IF it were me, I would first try a correct barrel break in before sending sandpaper down a new bore. You spent some good money for an accumark, I would atleast give the breakin a try before moving to a drastic measure like tubb's.

1 shot clean tell the copper left behind is reduced to all most 0. then move to 3 shot groups.

The accumarks come with a Criterion barrel (Kerigers OEM barrels) Buttoned rifled not cut. But they should have a chance of being a good barrel.

Also, I would look and see if that would void the impressive 1.5moa gaurantee..(I say that with tong in cheek).

Just a thought, if it dose not shoot, think about taking the pressure point out at the end of the barrrel. Weatherby puts forend pressure on all the guns.

Enjoy the new Weatherby, I love mine!

What part of OR?

+1 on first try a correct barrel break in before sending sandpaper down a new bore.

Have the bore scoped if it doesn't break in before final finish. The criterion from Kreiger is a very good oem barrel. Mine holds .250 at 200yds as long as I do. It will do better most of the time but .250 is easy to duplicate and prove if I should sell it. If you decide to use final finish only use the 2 finest grits if it shoots well. If it doesn't shoot well do the full treatment. Your wearing out the barrel so if it won't shoot to begin with you may save it for a hunting gun. If it doesn't become better it needed a barrel and some other work anyway

I would try it as is. It could be a tack driver out of the box and Tubbs could potentially change the performance. I used Tubbs on my Savage with excellent results. The gun is grouping better and is much easier to clean.

I dont see Tubbs as that a drastic step the bullets are coated in a fine polishing compound.

If you choose to try Tubbs make sure the barrel is absoultely clean since fouling will not allow the bullets to polish the bore. Also clean after every 5 shots or so and keep the barrel cool. The Tubbs bullets create more heat than regular bullets.

I am not a fan of final finish because it wears the barrel unevenly (More at the throat
and less as it gets near the crown) unless you have a bore that is badly rusted or pitted
like on some of the old rifles that were fed lots of corrosive ammo.

I would recommend the "shoot and clean" method for break in on a new barrel or one that
has not been broken in properly.

With the quality of the citron barrel 10 to 15 rounds should do it and fouling will be minimum.

As a last resort lapping will get better results if you know someone that knows the proper way
to lap barrels.

There is no free ride . Anything worth doing is worth doing right and the more effort you put
in the better the outcome.

Break it in properly and you will never be sorry!!

J E CUSTOM

I have to agree with everythingn said. Try a shoot and clean break-in first. If I ever break-in another factory barrel and it appears to be very rough after the first coupleof shots, I might try KG-3 polishing cream for 2 or 3 shots, which is less abrasive than Tubbs and and evenly apllied to the whole bore, throat to muzzle. From everything I've read about Tubbs, it's more designed for a well used or burned out bore and it will lengthen your throat. Weatherby's already have long throats. I would not put Tubb's down a new barrel.

Keep us posted on what you do and how it turns out.

Good shooting,

Mark

The accumark comes free floated from the factory. Hopefully the throat should be normal considering its not a weatherby mag or thats what they told me. I dont know if this changes anything but the stuff im considering is only 20rnds and is already loaded ammo. I read up on it and its does 80% in 20 bullets that the other way does in 50 as the way I understood it. I get the vibe from some of you guys that you dont care much for weatherby's...lol Thanks for all the responses.

Willy's Im from Prineville/ Central Oregon.

Last edited:
The accumark comes free floated from the factory. Hopefully the throat should be normal considering its not a weatherby mag or thats what they told me. I dont know if this changes anything but the stuff im considering is only 20rnds and is already loaded ammo. I read up on it and its does 80% in 20 bullets that the other way does in 50 as the way I understood it. I get the vibe from some of you guys that you dont care much for weatherby's...lol Thanks for all the responses.

Willy's Im from Prineville/ Central Oregon.

I think the accumark is the best looking factory rifle out there. I believe the Tubbs kit you are considering is the Throat Maintenance system. These are extremely fine polishing compounds and actually do very little to the barrel. I bought the whole 50 bullet kit but only used 25 bullets because I was parinoid it might damage the barrel. The 25 bullets definately improved the finish in my barrel. As I mentioned earlier see if you have a tack driver first, then if you are not satisfied with the groups and find the barrel fouls give Tubbs a try. I would certainly not worry about damage to the barrel especially with the Throat Maintenance System.

No, there are both types in loaded ammo, the final finish system and the throat maintenance system, thanks Im going to go without it. I have no doubt it will shoot fine without it, I just thought it might make the break in a little faster.

No vibe here, I think the Weatherby's are a fine firearm...I think most are just saying try to do normal break in first. Good luck with it and let us know how it breaks in and shoots. Enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.