Tubb bore polishing ammo

jmd025

Anyone have any experience with the Tubb bore polishing ammo or the throat maintenance ammo? It work? Gimmick? Better options? I have a 308 with a rough bore that shoots average, and thought about giving this a try. Will it teach an old dog new tricks?? Haha

I have used Tubbs fire lapping on two rifles. I do not have a bore scope to test but I think it does polish the barrels. What it also does is erode the throat. I do have gauges to measure that and can confirm it. I would not use those bullets on any rifle shooting well. I would only consider it in the future if I had bullet jump to spare which is not likely in most factory chambers. The problem is how do you lap a barrrel already mounted without eroding the throat or the other end? Lapping is usually done before mounting the barrel and then both ends are cut or chambered so the excess ware from lapping is removed.
If you want to try, I have Tubbs bullets to spare. I could mail them to you in one of those pre paid boxes and you can try them out.

used them in 2 rifles now that were fouling out after a few shots and took forever to clean (also wouldnt shoot for nothing) after running 3 sets of the 5 with the tubbs set (the 3 sets of fine finish bullets) the barrels clean MUCH easier. They will not foul out in 3 shots now, and accuracy has improved. If its a pain to clean (say just running a brush in the bore takes a lot of force) i would give them a try. I have heard it will take .003" out of your bore but who knows if this claim is true.

I broke in a factory 338 RUM with a full go of the Tubbs Final Finish. Rifle shoots exceptional. Wish I would have shot it before the final finish process.

I also ran a partial, skipped the two roughest, in a 270 Allen Mag, Lilja barrel that started dusting all weights of high bc bullets. Dusting problem was resolved, for the lighter bullets and accuracy did not decrease.

Just my experience.

Well, im not sure they are gonna accomplish smoothing out the rough spots like im wanting. The rifle turned in a handful of sub moa groups today with the rest coming in at moa. Still not bad for the factory barrel, but I always want more.

For a typical break-in, and occasional throat maintenance, Tubbs FF does just what it claims.
It does NOT wear out your barrel(unless you shot a ton of them).

It's purpose is also NOT to 'polish' a bore. You would never want to polish a bore, as copper fouling would go out of control instantly. It's action is of relatively coarse lapping of the lands left ugly from chambering, and again getting ugly with retreat. It also reduces copper fouling overall(this is what people tend to notice & approve).

I've used FF/TMS with every barrel since it come out, and have had nothing but great results.

I've got a 7 Rem Mag that shoots over an inch (usually 1.5 to 1.75) with everything I've tried. I just got the Tubb bullets for it and about to load them up. I see some people only shoot three of the loads provided. Should I shoot all five or just the last three?

thanks

CH

I salvaged a 7mag Sendero with the Tubb bullets, went from 2 MOA to just over .5 MOA. I believe it helps a factory barrel and if used per instructions, I doubt it would hurt.

I used them on my 300 RUM. Accuracy wasn't noticably effected but it was already a sub MOA gun. I did notice that this thing cleans easier than any other rifle in my safe. Its crazy, like thee passes with a patch and its squeaky clean. I also had the rifle nitrided just after polishing and am not sure if it has anything to do with it.

I have used the final finish lapping system with great success as well. The biggest improvement I have ever noticed was with a Ruger 10/22 barrel that just didn't seem to like any ammo I fed it. After fire lapping it shot quite well and never had a problem holding moa or better.

Before I ever heard of Tubb I heard of fire-lapping. Every firearm I fire-lapped improved in groups and cleaning. In a 10/22 I fired fifty factory rounds by dipping them into .005 lapping compound. A tiny bit stuck to the end. I have no idea what the g force is when a bullet accelerates but it is obviously enough for the material to slide over to the rifling and polish it.

On my .454 I actually purchased some lead bullets and rolled them in the .005 lapping compound to impregnate the lead. I inspected the rifling prior to lapping. There were very small chatter marks. Afterward they were gone. The accuracy improved marginally and cleaning became a breeze.

I tried some on a custom barrel that would never shoot as well as I thought it should. I did not shoot the two most coarse. I did not change the accuracy, which likely was not the cause anyway, but it was a last ditch attempt before making a tent stake out of it. What it DEFINITELY did do was erode the throat (measured). I might try it in a rough factory barrel that would not shoot, but that would be the only time......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.