TTSX jump

I have a Christensen arms Ridgeline in 7mm Remington mag and my 1/2 minute load is 180 gr. Berger's vlt hunting ,61 grains IMR 4831 OAL. 3.25

Have been using the Barnes since 1994. Have taken elk each season with a 6.5. Never a problem with accuracy. Usually seated .050 to .070 off the lands. Over the last two years I acquired two new 6.5's. one 1/9 the other 1/8 twist. Neither rifle woulds shoot the Barnes with any thing resembling hunting accuracy. This is the first time I had this type of problem with the Barnes. I have seated these Barnes bullets in these rifles from up close to way back off with no success. Have tried several different powders . Also no success. Have heard of others from time to time having the same problem. I heard Hammer brand bullets might work better. The Hammer's instantly snuggled into 1/2" groups & took my elk with them last season. Can't explain why, just thought I would pass on the info in case the Barnes don't shoot well in your rifle. Elk taken with both the Barnes & the Hammer bullets went right down. See no difference with performance on elk.
That is a similar scenario here, I was planning on using a 160gr Partition, 4 different powders later and the absolute BEST group was 2.5" most were around 4" . thats when i decided to give the TTSX a try. Some rifles will just tell you what they want

might it were me the first thing I would do is

Ken test fires all of his rifles before they leave and I believe he expects a 1/2 MOA worst case. I would call Ken and ask him for his recommendations before I did anything else... it might save you some time and money.

Ken is a great guy and builds a top notch rifle.
I did call H-S when I got the rifle and got the build/test sheet, the test target was shot with a ballistic tip. Not something i want to try on an elk size critter. I may still call to get some insight on the abysmal accuracy of the Partition. this is my second H-S rifle, the first one is a 257 Weatherby varmint , the accuracy was so addictive I had to have another one!

Yep, I'd say that's a keeper. If you ever decide to try heavier bullets again, you might try switching up to RL 25. We started low and worked up to 68 grs RL-25 and both Barnes TTSX and Federal Trophy Bonded shot really well. I recall they clocked in around 3150. Before that I tried every powder in the book compatible with that bullet weight with mediocre results. RL-25 really dialed it in. Fed-215 Primers and Lapua Brass.

They shot really well for me in my 7 mag as well. Not sure how far I was jumping them dont have my notes in front of me. I did have poor luck with them on deer. I always thought it would make a good elk bullet. Very dense bullet just blew through 150# whitetails without a lot of damage.
I shot the 150 Barnes TSX out of a seven Weatherby. The bullet works. I took my elk at 603 yards and then my buddy used My rifle the next day and took his at 75 yards. Both elk took two steps.

I shot the 150 Barnes TSX out of a seven Weatherby. The bullet works. I took my elk at 603 yards and then my buddy used My rifle the next day and took his at 75 yards. Both elk took two steps.
. Oh yeah, also reloader 22

Yep, I'd say that's a keeper. If you ever decide to try heavier bullets again, you might try switching up to RL 25. We started low and worked up to 68 grs RL-25 and both Barnes TTSX and Federal Trophy Bonded shot really well. I recall they clocked in around 3150. Before that I tried every powder in the book compatible with that bullet weight with mediocre results. RL-25 really dialed it in. Fed-215 Primers and Lapua Brass.
I actually just picked up some Rel25, that's what the Partition shot the best so far

The TTSX is a great option to have in your quiver. Can make magazine length restrictions a non issue.

Doesnt look like you played with seating depth much if any? Still shows .140" off the lands which is where you started from the beginning no? I've had several 7 Rem Mags over the years and they always shot under 1/2 MOA with a 140g NBT at 68-68.5g of RL22, so its obviously a sweet spot for the caliber, powder, and bullet weight. Looks good to me! Now go kill some stuff!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.