TTSX at longer distances

Chalk up another moose to the 168 TTSX and 300 RUM combo. I shot a small meat bull at just over 200 yards, hard downhill angle. Bullet entered high shoulder where the spine dips down, broke spine, and continued down thru the off shoulder. I found two petals at the spine and the rest broke the offside shoulder on exit.

Tipped him over on the spot. Thats a lot of bone to bust thru, remember even a small bull moose is pretty darn big! This is the second time I have found a petal from a TSX/TTSX the first one was a very large cow moose hit with a 250gr Barnes expander .45 sabot fired out of my muzzle loader. I found one petal at the spot where it broke the shoulder, it also continued to exit out the far side of the moose. It shows that they do what their supposed to. break free and keep penetrating.

Attachments

• f67f39fc318114d065f8ef89fa1fd473.jpg
    f67f39fc318114d065f8ef89fa1fd473.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 61
A management deer taken at a little over 400yds.
Lung shot and took about 4 steps.
Barnes 175gr LRX in 300 mag.

Attachments

• 30 Inch.jpg
    30 Inch.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 77
I popped an antelope yesterday at 350yds with a 7mm-08 launching a 145gr LRX at 2700fps so impact velocity would be around 2200fps. The big boys should hold that speed out to 700-800+yds. Single hole in and took out the offside shoulder leaving (seemed like a couple inch hole, haven't butchered yet), DRT.

I have shot 180 TSX and TTSX in 300 Wby for many years with the TTSX's shooting just a touch better in my gun. A couple elk at over 400 yds dropped within sight and deer, bear and sheep usually go nowhere but down. I shot them because of both accuracy and performance on game. The elk were actually shot with factory loads, but all my reloads have been with H4831sc. I get under moa in a Blaser hunting rifle out to 500 yds. The Swarovski scope doesn't have raised turrets so I just do holdovers with that rifle and never shot it past 500.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.