TSX Bullets

I have had great results with Barnes TSX and TTSX in .308 WIN and .338 WM in two Browning rifles. I did "fire lap" with a few 400 and finer grit bullets when new and seldom see green on the patches. I just today cleaned these two after two years of hunting and sighting in along with a 15 round ladder test on the 338, so not a huge amount of rounds between cleaning. Both are 1 moa in my hands. My 338 TSX bullets were purchased around 2004-2007.

I shot them exclusively for better than 10 years and though it was normal to have to use electrodes and solvents to clean a barrel, used the outters system for years, in the copper bullet land Barnes are fouling machines, Hammers I get no to normal copper fouling as well as Cutting edge, too many way better options in the fouling, accuracy and terminal performance departments!!

......I shot them exclusively for better than 10 years and though it was normal to have to use electrodes and solvents to clean a barrel, used the outters system for years........

Quit making them it looks like.

I didn't have the Outers at the time, but spent a lot of time trying to get copper out of a .375 H&H. A lot more time than the bench time it took to put it there.

Re: My earlier statement about foulng badly and quickly.
The three rifles I shot the old TSX bullets in were a Rem Sendero 25-06, a Weatherby 7mm and a Ruger 77 in 30-06. All factory, not match quality barrels.
As I said earlier, my earlier shooting was from a benchrest background. We cleaned ridiculously (or so it seems to some). I have carried that mentality forward.
Even when shooting on a prairie dog field I never shoot more than 20 rounds without cleaning and letting that rifle cool (I usually take at least 5). Given this regimen, I am not used to seeing any problems with copper fouling. A good scrubbing with a bronze core brush/solvent, then numerous patches with wet, then dry patches, until the patch comes out with no blue on it. I use Butch's Bore Shine or Montana Extreme solvent.
With the TSX bullets, after a day at the range working up loads or shooting for fun, I could not get the patches to come out without any blue. I shined a light and looked at the bore (don't have a bore scope). I could see visible streaks of copper at the bore.
To answer the earlier question, a day at the range is my reference for "quickly and badly".

As mentioned, a rough bore will exponentially increase fouling! Also (as mentioned), the long, generally accepted rule when shooting Barnes Bullets, is to thoroughly clean the bore of any residual fouling from other bullets.

I've used Barnes Bullets since the early '90's ( the original X Bullet), and never had a fouling issue.....though, I was running them through a "match grade" barrel. Once having used them, I never had a desire to change.....except to change to newer Barnes Bullets as their technology progressed!

I had a friend that tried the originals, and got hideous groups. Once I "finally" convinced him to polish his bore, he got much better grouping. It was close to match performance, but adequate for hunting big game @ ranges under 400 yards. Slightly off topic, his first and only elk was taken that year. A "single" X Bullet from a 25-06, took the biggest bodied bull, I've ever seen. He also got an exit, which the Barnes are recognized for.....and loved by many! memtb

What method did you recommend to your buddy for polishing his bore ?

What method did you recommend to your buddy for polishing his bore ?

I will say that my buddy was very hesitant to try it, but, his frustration with his rifle finally got the best of him. I guess he figured, it couldn't hurt! Again, it wasn't "bench rest" groups with the Barnes X Bullet.....but, he was pretty pleased with the improvement.

I've polished every firearm we've purchased, except my "match grade" barrel on my .375AI.

My method, which may be "Neanderthal", seems to work. I use automotive polishing compound (a very fine grit paste used to remove oxidation from paint). I merely use a fairly tight fitting patch with a generous amount of compound. And then, run the patch back and forth through...."stopping just before your arm falls off"! :D At that point, you may "clean her up", and take it for a "test drive"! If you see improvement.....great! At that point, you have to determine if you want to go for more!

I know that my method may find fault with many here....But, it darn sure works! If, you decide to try it, I hope it works as well for you as it has for me! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.