Tss turkey loads

I killed a turkey @ 50yds with my 20ga and #7.5s this season. Much better on game performance than the #9s. My 12ga still outshines the 20ga, of course. There's not enough weight difference to notice between the two, either.

Just saw this on Youtube, and no I do not shoot Apex loads (I roll my own) but for those wondering about how effective TSS is, this video shows it being shot into ballistic jell.

I purchased the Pendleton TSS loads to use specifically when i go reaping. Very impressed even purchased the recommended choke

I've been loading my own for several years. Killed a lot of turkeys with it. All I've used is #9 and have no reason to try anything else. I've killed birds from 10 yards to 73 steps and I'm 6'2".
I could write a short book on tss and why I love it.

It's definitely a game changer. If any of you guys want to get started with it or just need to add to your shot stash, give me a shout. I've been developing loads and selling shot for many years.

the shells are not cheap(tss #9 federals 6.50 per shell), but over all they can and will take a turkey cleanly at 50 yards. I look at it this way. I want a clean kill and try to limit my shots to 35-40 yards. in the total picture of cost for a day of hunting, breakfast 7.00- snacks 4.00- lunch 8.00- gas at least 3 gallons(2.89 a gallon) and the cost of a license, for me its not the cost but the hunt. if it was about cost I would go to a wise-giant food store and buy a turkey. turkey target 8.5x11" 40 yards, 1-3/4 oz federal tss #9,s.

Attachments

• DSCN0349 (2).JPG
    DSCN0349 (2).JPG
    2 MB · Views: 291
  • DSCN0417 (2).JPG
    DSCN0417 (2).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 349
  • DSCN1569 (2).JPG
    DSCN1569 (2).JPG
    672.5 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
The same with the Hevishot Magnum Blend's. They
are lethal when you combine their knockdown power
with how great their patterns are.

My idea of turkey hunting, is getting them close enough to see the glint in their eye. I could have used my 28 ga, with #8 shot, to kill every Tom I have taken.

they don,t recoil any more that any loads the push 1-3/4 oz of shot at 1200 fps. no bruises at all, just old age spots. I too like them close, but there are times they hang up no matter what you do and I like to get a solid kill at my self imposed range of 30-40 yards.

that works if you have the time and land not crawing with other hunters. I am retired and buy a extra tag and hunt most every day of our spring season.

Best bet would be to find some of the federal, nitro, or other factory loads. There is a lot of liability in hand loading for someone else.

Yeah, I got cha. I run a 6000 acre hunting club, in East Texas. There is only a couple of us hunting it for turkey. The National Forest, that surrounds it, has a lot more competition. For me, it is all about the hunt, rather than the harvest. I retired from one company, but doing the same job for the company that bought them, and plan to work a few more years. But, I work 12 hr shift and get quite a few days off to hunt, even though they cut the season there, to 3 weeks. AND, they already moved the opening back until it does not start until April 22. Makes it harder, but, I am not run over by fools blasting an owl call.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.