TSA approved gun case recommendations

I've been to Africa twice. Never used a TSA Lock. Used my own, and I kept the keys with me. that way nobody can get into the case unless they brake the locks or case. I did have to open up the case for inspection by Feds, and polices. I learned one thing. Don't stop in NY if you are flying from the west coast. Go to Germany then on. You can't go throw England either. They will take your firearm. Once the bags are on the jet there shouldn't be a problem and they should be transferred to the next flight by the airlines. Keeping the firearm way from you during your trip. The stupid thing was you locked up your ammo in the case too. I kind of feel that it wouldn't take much at the airport to take the rifle out, and create hell with it. That kind of worry me. I don't have an answers to that either. Some nut before and could again create a hell for people at the airport. Seem to me there got to be a better way to handle that.
The other is I have A PDF app that I use an able to type in the info on there form 4457. The feds looked at that, I could see them wonder how and the hell I got that done. I had to laugh about it inside myself.
The other is I was flying out about a week after 911 to Canada. You had to be at the airport 3 to 4 hour ahead to get checked in. What a waste of time. Nobody was there on the other side of counter for 4 hours. They didn't open up until later. The other stupid thing on the flight they severed food. A plastic knife, and a steel fork. There steel butter knife couldn't cut hot butter with it. The fork had points on it, that would be easy to stick somebody with. Stupid-Stupid.
I wonder how the airlines come up with the Stupid ways they do things. They did smarten up and stop using steel forks.

Attachments

• CBP Form 4457_0.pdf
    589.7 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
I have four different hard gun cases, two are from different gun makers and all of them are Pelican. I don't think you can beat them. I have traveled all over the United States as well as to Africa Twice and never had any issues.

I loaned my hard case to a friend to travel back to a Air Force Base It was turned down It had four locks built into the case but I had put a hasp and pad lock on for extra protection Their excuse was I had altered the case and they could not pass it

I bought TSA combination locks at the local hardware store, $11.99, and they are good, because TSA in MPLS and Phoenix have master keys to open. They don't need you. By TSA LAW, your firearm case CANNOT HAVE A STICKER ON IT SAYING ITS A FIREARM, but bad guys obviously know what a gun case looks like, duh. Both places opened, swabbed for explosives and couldn't care less about the firearm, because before you get there you declare them (1 rifle) as unloaded.
I flew Southwest. I put the ammo in the same locked case which is fine by them as long as the ammo is in a shell box designed to hold the ammo, metal or paper. The ammo box doesn't need to be locked. I did additionally tape my shell box. What is NOT ACCEPTABLE IS LOOSE ROUNDS, OR ROUNDS IN MAGAZINES OR CLIPS! In MPLS I had clothes packed with my rifle also, and the guy never lifted the clothes off my rifle to look at it. The guy in Phoenix did, and complimented me for a not needed, but nice touch, yellow chamber flag in my gun with the bolt open.

What is going on currently is luggage being stolen right off the carousel. My advice is to be standing right at where the luggage comes out!
I have only carried handguns in checked baggage, but Regs state that while the suitcase can use a TSA lock, the case the firearm is in shall be locked with a non-TSA openable lock. Additionally, the red 'unloaded firearm' card should be inside the suitcase. Had one Bozo at the Oakland CA. Airport tale it to the outside.
Not all applies to rifles, but I think the non-TSA lock part does.

I believe the airlines do not allow ammo in the case with the gun.
Correct…ammo separate. For a checked handgun they can be in the same suitcase. No loose rounds, must be in a ammo box of some kind.

I fly to to Hilo every year to their state trap shot and I take two guns . Pelican with wheels works best. I used to use two locks then a few years back TSA made me use four locks, one for each hole on the case. My wife and I each keep a key with us, I've been called back to open the case several times by TSA. Don't get testy with them and remember that they can make your life ugly if they want to.

I have been using a Tuffpac for 9 years. love it. I usually pack my rifle in it and ammo and what ever else, usually my sleeping bag, clothes or what ever to bring the weight upto 49.5 lbs. Most don't know its a rifle, which is ok with me. Also its in a soft case inside so when i get to the lodge and I am flying out in a smaller plane, I still have a case for my rifle...

I fly to to Hilo every year to their state trap shot and I take two guns . Pelican with wheels works best. I used to use two locks then a few years back TSA made me use four locks, one for each hole on the case. My wife and I each keep a key with us, I've been called back to open the case several times by TSA. Don't get testy with them and remember that they can make your life ugly if they want to.
Yep and if there gunfire in the airport, they run like hell. I have open up my case several time. They aren't allowed even to touch the firearm.

We use a Pelican case, four locks, we carry our own keys. Usually DFW to Columbus, OH and back for one of the national high school trap/skeet/sporting c'ships.

I have been using a Tuffpac for 9 years. love it. I usually pack my rifle in it and ammo and what ever else, usually my sleeping bag, clothes or what ever to bring the weight upto 49.5 lbs. Most don't know its a rifle, which is ok with me. Also its in a soft case inside so when i get to the lodge and I am flying out in a smaller plane, I still have a case for my rifle...
Do you declare the rifle to the ticket agent? You are required to by TSA regs.

Do you declare the rifle to the ticket agent? You are required to by TSA regs.
Yes I do. I don't think the TSA agents see many of the tuffpacs, because they think its golf clubs...I pac lots in it. Usually they look at the butt of the gun and never require me to pull it all the way out. My knives, ammo, and usually a couple of 500 ml wine boxes. if i'm flying to Alaska to hunt, I will also put in my sidearm...Like i posted earlier, i set it on the scale and just start loading it till it gets to 49.5 lbs. When i purchased my tuffpac, they were doing a program where i could buy 2 of them and donate to a fundraising event with the spare for the price of 1 so if anybody is thinking about it, call the company and see if they are still doing this...

I have never flew with a firearm
Reading through the post there are many good ideas

If for example I were to buy the pelican, placed four locks, why the need for tape or industrial zip ties?

Honest question, I dont understand how it would be tampered with, without knowing. If it has all the locks still in place

I just landed yesterday and picked up my gun. TSA CHECKED IT AND LOCKED IT THEN TOLD ME I COULD LEAVE. Found this when I got it pistol and knife still inside. Lol

Attachments

• 56E29B0F-7A5C-40C2-A1D7-BA3B7AD9BF7B.jpeg
    56E29B0F-7A5C-40C2-A1D7-BA3B7AD9BF7B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
Last edited: