Trying to plan OTC elk hunt in colorado but im from NH and noone wants to join in. Looking for 1 or 2 other guys to try and put a plan together

Hey hopefully none of this is remedial but as a first time hunter I thought id share stuff I wish I knew earlier this year.
YOU NEED A HUNTERS ED CARD TO HUNT In Colorado which is like a 2 day class im not sure how it works for out of state hunters but call the Game and fish place and find out because classes can book up later in the season towards oct.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife has hunt planning hotlines available later in the year u ask Parks and Wildlife and they will give you a phone number of someone knowledgable who works for the department u can ask any and all random questions too!

there's 4 rifle seasons with about 10 day breaks in between each season from October to the end of November. A lot of the Game units in Colorado have bull tags for sale unlimited over the counter for 2nd and 3rd rifle season which is usually 8-6 days or so for each season (16 total but separated) from mid to late -
October so like Oct 15-21 for First rifle season. and then from Oct 30 to Nov 6th For Second rifle.
Then there is another break and Third rifle season starts and ends as like a 6- 8 day season from like 13-20th of November.
Fourth season isn't usually ideal unless u get a really good private unit and because u can buy bull tags for second and third from any major outlet store or Game and fish office it would be better to plan for that rather than wait till fourth rifle.
Best bet I've heard its to try to organize a private land hunt and apply for those licenses.

Last edited:
Even for out of state hunters ed is needed.
Last year I brought old tags for proof which works in most states because they all seem to require it. So common sense says once you have a license in one state you have shown it and don't need to again. NOt so in CO.
Lucky a late night call to my dad got a picture of it so I was good to go. Needed it again this year.
Didn't get on an elk but got a nice mule deer. Elk are on the property next to me but had to leave. Dad stayed hopefully he can get on one.

but I live in CO so if I can be of any help in an way lmk
Colorman,

I just got back for New Mexico and Colorado last weekend and though I did not get to hunt this year I did enjoy my trip. The wife and grandson joined me this year and we got to enjoy some of the places that I keep saying I will stop and visit.
If you know an area that holds a few bulls I would be interested in planning a trip for next year. That's if you could point me in the right direction. Shoot me a PM when you have time and we can discuss.
Ace

If your still looking for another hunter, I'd be interested. I've hunted Colorado a few times for Elk just north of Lake City. Haven't been in a few years but have dying to get back. These were the last 2 bulls I shot.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1427580476699.jpg
    FB_IMG_1427580476699.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 20141015_185928.jpg
    20141015_185928.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
im going on my first hunt in GMU 16 and its over the counter bull and I have a cow tag ill be going again next year as well but if anyone wants to jump in with me and grab a bull tag ill help ya in any way I can
(to be clear im no expert this will be my first hunt)
Are you hunting 3rd or 4th rifle? so if you're hunting Unit 16 those seasons are you going to hunt private lands? Or BLM or SWA? I'm curious….I've got a 4th rifle either-sex In 16

Last edited:
Are you hunting 3rd or 4th rifle? so if you're hunting Unit 16 those seasons are you going to hunt private lands? Or BLM or SWA? I'm curious….I've got a 4th rifle either-sex In 16
really nice I was on public if I get a day or two could I come out and hike with ya etc im taking my Subaru in for repairs so assuming nothings majorly wrong with it I wouldn't mind coming out there I was just there for 4 days.

really nice I was on public if I get a day or two could I come out and hike with ya etc im taking my Subaru in for repairs so assuming nothings majorly wrong with it I wouldn't mind coming out there I was just there for 4 days.
Thx….unfortunately Thanksgiving plans got in the way of a 4th rifle (very short season and family plans). Oh well, another donation to CPW

If your still looking for another hunter, I'd be interested. I've hunted Colorado a few times for Elk just north of Lake City. Haven't been in a few years but have dying to get back. These were the last 2 bulls I shot.
I'm planning to get an OTC tag and give it a shot, would be great to tag along with someone with experience if possible.