Trying to pick a barrel contour

MTbackwoods

I’m looking at building a more packable rifle for myself. My current rigs weigh 13 and 14 pounds and it’s getting a little old. So I’ve decided to do a 6.5 PRC build but I’m trying to pick a good contour. Budget dictates that it will be a steel barrel. No room for a carbon barrel yet. I just want a good balance of weight and accuracy. Finish length will be 24” and barrel will be coming from X-Caliber as I like supporting local business. Thanks

Hand Skills

The x-caliber #4 is .830 - .630 at the muzzle. That seems about right to me unless you are planning on going with an ultra light weight stock.

Not all barrel mfg's use the same dimensions - for example, a bartlein 3b is .900-.700,

Maybe look at an x-caliber #6 - real close to a bartlein #3b

Forcedoutage

I use #3 contours (.625-.630 @ 24”) fluted usually for pack style rifles. If you don’t like real light rifles you could go with a #4. The one I’m having built now is with a #2. .600 at 24”.

Buster Hemlock

I’ve heard great things about a 3b contour but I don’t know what that would best translate to as far as what X-Caliber offers. And with fluting the cost is almost the same as their carbon option. So that’s out
I should have looked at X-calibers contour page before replying. @Hand Skills nailed it. Wish all the barrel manufacturers would get on the same page with their barrel contours.

COBrad

I had a .270 WSM built with a CF stock and 4 taper fluted barrel. It was a wickedly accurate rifle and came in about 8.5 lbs with a nightforce 2.5-10. My current elk rifle has a 1 taper-.560 at the muzzle. Weighs 7 lbs with the same scope. Have only shot it out to 500 yds so far but it’s minute of ground hog accurate out there.

Another Casual

I have a 26" rock creek #2 savage small shank prefit. Rifle weights 6lbs 13 oz with:

Manners EH6
Hawkins BDL
Big Horn Origin action

I could've sworn I had the weight for just the barrel written down somewhere. I mathed backwards from the rifle weight, barrel with nut should be around 44 ounces.

Mark carter

I’ve heard great things about a 3b contour but I don’t know what that would best translate to as far as what X-Caliber offers. And with fluting the cost is almost the same as their carbon option. So that’s out
You need to watch for the holiday specials they just had a Veterans Day 20% off special

MTbackwoods

You need to watch for the holiday specials they just had a Veterans Day 20% off special
Yeah I’m holding out for Black Friday. I’ve seen where they’ll have 30% off if I remember correctly. But I think I’m going with a #6 bull Sporter. I think that will do pretty good for balance. But you never know until you try

Mark carter

Yeah I’m holding out for Black Friday. I’ve seen where they’ll have 30% off if I remember correctly. But I think I’m going with a #6 bull Sporter. I think that will do pretty good for balance. But you never know until you try
I ordered one over Labor Day and they had a 25% off I got a number five fluted and I’m going to make it into a 280 actually improved

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.