Trying to go the distance with a .243

SavageBoy89

I have a Savage Edge .243 win. And im trying to sight her in for 600 yds for shooting woodchucks, her as in Betty haha...need advice from anyone....thank you very much

Welcome Savage,

You didn't state your load or what scope you have mounted on your baby. How does she shoot at 100 yards? It has to be very good at 100 to hit anything at 600. You may know that but thought I would mention it. You may also run out of adjustment on your scope trying to zero at 600 yards. You may not, but be aware that it could happen, in which case you would need a base with built in elevation, or a different scope with more adjustment or a ballistic reticle.
Good luck, have fun and be safe.

I shoot 100 grain 243 winchester super x power point deer and antelope. And i have a 4x16 field and stream scope. Not too sure exactly about the scope. And at 100 yds shes **** good

I'd start doing more shooting at 300-400 yds. Forget 600+ without a crafted handloads and a scope with an elevation turret. 600+ will come as you get better and more invested.

It must me down state or upstate, I'm pretty versed with western NY and I have only heard it in passing.

Ok that said lets get some more info like the other guys said. 600M with a 243 should be easy lets hear all about your gun, optic and the load your shooting. Wee nee all that info.

Jon

Its just east of cayuga lake...and my gun is a Savage Edge 243 win, not too sure about it. I dont got a book on it, its a bolt action, my scope is some field and stream 4 to 16 power, my buddy sold it to me. And im not too sure about that either. And i use the winchester 100 grain deer and antelope loads. The super xs.

I would start by getting a really solid scope. I dont know anything about the feild and stream model your mentioning, so i dont know if its good or not, but Im betting its not what you want for varmits at 600 yards.
Something with turrets is best, but a solid mill-dot reticule will work. i bought a Vortex PST for my .243 and am extremly happy with it. If its a stricly long range varmit rig you could look into SWFA fixed power models or bushnells fixed power stuff.

Remember that if your shooting a 1.5" group at 100 yards, if you do everything absolutely perfect, that same group will be 9'' at 600. That being said, we should know your group size on average (not the best you've ever shot). If its not up to snuff you can get the trigger worked and the action bedded.

Handloads are essential for long range shooting. Walmart brand cartiges most likely wont cut it. There are custom'ish ammo manufacturers out there. Try some stuff from Black Hills if you dont want to reload (if they make ammo for the .243 win).

Laser range finder. Most cant do what they say they can, so get something really good. Bushnells work sometimes, but I have 0 faith in them. Leica, Swaro, and Ziess are the go to brands.

The cost of Long range shooting and hunting is emense. But you can do it affordably over time. I would say start off at 300-400 yards, where you start seeing significant drop and wind changes. for those ranges and even to 500 yards, reticules are extremly effective. That way you can probably use the scope you have on it until youve learned some basics. This is where you learn your marksmenship.

I like your choice in caliber. I just bought a .243 win myself (well 6 months ago). Its a plain jane Rem SPS. I bedded the stock, floated the barrel, developed hand loads and turned the stock into a thumbhole style. Topped it with a Vortex PST. took it coyote hunting this morning and saw no dogs so found a couple 1-1.25MOA rocks at 780 yards that needed to turn into gravel.:D

Thank you everyone for all the advice...its helped alot.... -Angus. Yeah those 243s are a really good caliber. Powerful little gun. It gets the job done. It has a floating barrel. As ive learned savage does that with alot of their rifles. I got 33 chucks last year with some cheap little scope on it. And this scope i have on it will probably be good enough for now. It zooms in nice. Like from 300 yds it looks like something is 150 away. Im just getting into actually wanting to start working on my marksmanship and get serious about it. I love the challenge of a good long shot...id like to someday be able to have the gun shoot something about 700 yds out.....now your gun sounds amazing. Hitting some rocks 780 yds away holy cow. I only dream. My 243 is all synethetic stock and everything

Do you have a place to shoot out to 600 yds and in between?

That's the only way you'll know what it can do.

As suggested by others, attempting to go straight to 600 yds may be frustrating if you don't work your way up to it.

Often, factory rifles with factory ammo may be real tight at 100 yds and begin opening up gradually at 200-300 yds and then do very poorly past 400, 500, or 600.

Zero it at 100 yds. Plot your expected trajectory on paper. Shoot it at 200, then 300, and so on to see how your groups hold up and to verify your drops.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.