trying to get into long range shooting with something that wont break the bank

I would have to vote on the Savage as well. My last Remmington really let me down. The Savage are much better.

There's lots of 'smiths out there who think a box magazine bolt action receiver has to be blueprinted and trued up to the Nth degree to be accurate. Yet folks have done nothing but square up the receiver face with the barrel tenon thread axis, lap the bolt lugs into full contact then square up the bolt face to the tenon thread axis. Lots of slop in the bolt fit as well as the bolt way axis (and therefore, the bolt, too) aren't in perfect alignment with the barrel chamber and bore axis. Rifles built this way have shot the smallest, many-shot long range groups I know of. Which, to me, means that all that truing and blueprinting benefits the 'smiths bank account more than it does the customer's rifle accuracy needs.

Note that if receiver stiffness is important to you for your box magazine repeater, neither the Remington nor Savage actions are as stiff as the Winchester 70 ones. The 70's are over twice as stiff as proved in both dynamic bending and enginering rigidity calculations. And the 70's don't twist out of perfect contact with epoxy bedding like all the round ones do. Roiund ones are OK if bullets weighing less than 160 grains are used at muzzle velocities of 3000 fps or less; the barrel torque of these isn't enough to twist round receivers out of perfect bedding.

thanks everybody for the responses. i just fond a savage i want to really look into only thing is it doesnt come in 308. it does come in a 243, 260 and 6.5 creedmoor. 308 is my cal of choice mainly bc thats what i grew up with and i just really like the round. so looking into this savage what would be the best cal to go with?

I would go with 6.5 creedmoor. You can order a bunch of match ammo online fora good price (might not be easy to find in stores). Good for targets and good for whitetails.

Last edited:
If the one you're looking at is the 12 LRP, I have one in 6.5 Creedmoor. Very accurate w/ factory ammo, and they put the 'recipe' right on the back of the boxes. Because it isn't really a 'main stream' caliber (compared to a .308 or .260 that have been around for decades) your choices on dies is limited (don't think Forster makes any yet, and Redding charges thru the nose for theirs).

It might be worthwhile to call Savage's customer service and see if they would do a special order in .308 Win. The bolt face is the same diameter (.473), I'm guessing the mags are pretty much the same (if not the .243/.260 mags should work fine)... just gotta sweet talk them into making a barrel for it, and its not like they don't make .30 cal barrels there... ;)

I've been told that sometimes the special orders get done faster than if you order a straight up production model. The former get done between setups for the large production runs, and the latter get done whenever they are in the queue to be done.

Good luck,

Monte

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.