trying to get into long range shooting with something that wont break the bank

shuamee

ok the cal. is a 308 that will be used mainly for target shooting and some whitetails. want some thing thats very accurate and something a smith wouldnt have trouble working. would yall say it would be better off to start with a rem 700 varminter ss of course and just start shooting then have it customized later on or go with like a sako trg or somethin from r bros? really dont know anything bout the sako personaly i know a few ppl that say they are really nice and really accurate out of the box thats bout it tho. what are your thoughts?

havent really looked into the savage line for a while what do they have out now thats their most accurate out of the box gun?

Accurate out of the box savage, what a joke, I've yet to run across an inaccurate one! As for the 308 the model 10FCP-HS comes to mind first then the 12VLP. Plus you won't have to swap out that crappy remington trigger for a Jewell.

This is similar to my interest, I have been thinking of a 700 varmint in .338, SS barrel, and changing the stock, how does the Savage compare pricewise to this?

This one has got to be my main hunting and shooter for the next year.

Jake

don't leave out the Remington 5R Milspec.they shoot right out of the box really well with factory match ammo.and the trigger really isn't that bad.its just the set screw you use to adjust the trigger can some what get in the way.other than that its OK.but tradeing out the trigger really isn't that bad if you choose too.

even the Remington SPS tac. is a really good rifel to get.many shooters are really getting great accuracy with them.and thats with a 20" barrel.but its your choice not ours.we are just offering opinions.RIGHT

Go with a Savage if you go with Remington you may as well change the Barrel..
With a Savage, I have seen there .308 shoot 5 shots inside a quarter at 400 yards,,and thats a bad day.
Get a real good Scope. Don't buy a junker.

im not going to count out the savages but the rems are really what im lookin at. i have had rems, rugers, savages, marlins, wins, and brownings. the savages i had while still accurate for what i was doing with them had from what i could tell really good barrels on them but the actins just felt really sloppy. i dont know if they still make them the same as they used too or not but that really turned me off of them. really looking for a rem in a 308 that is about as good as u can get factory, when i burn the barrel or just get the extra money to do things with it i will have it built. and talking bout the ammo, i have found that in most of the 308s i shoot the fed blue box in 150gr shoots better than any of the tac or match ammo ive shot and in many cases just as accurate if not more for alot cheaper than anything else. and the optics i have a nightforce nxs that will be going on this gun going to move it from my 300 rum to the new gun i will be looking for another for that gun with more zoom to it. what are most ppl shootin in this brand scope out to a mile?

If a remington is what you want get it, but the savages are not as "sloppy" as they used to be even though there is a reason for that, oh and they dominate factory class matches. You really want a shooter check out a savage model 12 benchrest in person if you can find one at a store, get them to let you squeeze or maybe I should say just touch the 6oz target accutrigger. I own remingtons and have nothing against them, they serve their purpose but you will spend 2500 on one to get it to shoot as good as the model 12s or tactical 10s.

i will check out the savages. u say there was a reason for the actions being sloppy, why is that? also how hard is it to find a smith to work on them to do more work to them? i hav e read on alot of gunbuilders websites that they will not work on an action unless its a 700

I'm going to throw FN into the mix. I wanted another 223 for P. Dogging next spring and bought a FN TSR. I've worked up loads for the Horn 60 V Max Sierra 69 SMK & Horn 75 HPBT. All have been 1/2 MOA or less out to 600 yds. with the exception of the 60 V Max, i've only shot it to 400. I can't say enough good about this rifle.

The slop your reffering to is due to savage using a multi piece bolt assembly with a floating bolt head, basically gets rid of the need to blueprint a savage action. Almost any smith that can work on a remington can work on a savage, most choose not to because there isn't as much money involve and if you do some research and a little extra reading you will find than you probably have the ability to do it yourself, it is very simple, much more so than a model 700.

Savages from 'back when' and Savages now are different animals - most of the machining is done in two trips thru CNC machining centers, instead of 28 stations (and setups) with manual machines.

The Target Action based rifles tend to shoot really well. Most are single shot, such as the 12 F/TR in .308 Win, although you can ind the 12 LRP in calibers like .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor. The 'feel' of these guns is quite a bit different than the older guns. As always, they are still factory rifles - there is still a chance of a bad chamber or crown, etc. but usually Savage does pretty good at making things right if you call their customer service folks.

I may be a little biased, seeing as I shoot on a factory-sponsored team for Savage Arms... but we shoot the 12 F/TR and 12 Palma rifles in .308 Win out to 1000yds on a regular basis, and out to 1200 when possible. I wouldn't be doing that if the guns didn't work, and trust me, nobody laughs any more when we show up with factory rifles :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.