Trying to decide on lightweight rifle

lennyo3034

I am looking to pick up a new rifle for hunting in WV. Targets are white tail and black bear. I will be taking this rifle on multi-day trips into the national forest. I currently have a push feed Model 70 but it's pretty beat up, losing accuracy, and not as weather resistant as I'd like. My budget is 700ish for rifle only.

Requirements:
Light weight
Stainless
Synthetic stock
Not a Remington or Savage(own too many of both already)

Nice to haves but not required:
<MOA accuracy
Smooth action
Internal (BDL) mag
Barrel thick enough at muzzle for threading a suppressor

So far my contenders are: Tikka T3 stainless lite, Steyr Pro Hunter, Winchester 70 ultimate shadow stainless

The Tikka seems to be the lightest, The Steyr has the best stock from what I can tell, and I like the Winchester's controlled feed action.

One modification I will be making is a left side sling attachment.

I am a newish hunter, but have experience backpacking and precision shooting.

As a Tikka owner, I'm going to steer you in that direction. All my Tikka's have always been lights out shooters with little load work up. They carry well and the action is ultra smooth. I was able to compare my tikka T3 to a friends defiance deviant LA, and while the defiance was slicker, it wasn't enough better in my book to justify the price difference. I think if you find a T3 superlite at cabela's that may be the perfect ticket for you.

I'm leaning towards the tikka, however finding one is difficult. Eurooptic has one left from their sale but it is in .338 win mag, which is a little much for the small deer in WV.

The cabelas super lite looks really nice but at $900 is really pushing the budget.

In that case I would go for the standard T3 stainless synthetic. they're about $750 if I remember correctly and still tip the scales at about 6.25lbs. they're light and accurate. Would also make an excellent base action for a build one day, if you ever wanted too.

I agree that the Tikka is a very accurate rifle. Got one and it shoots sub 1/2" groups.
But I still love my model70's. Not sure if it is nostalgia or something else, but I sztill lean toward the model 70. I think you can't go wrong with either.

Another vote for tikka. Own several. All shot 1 inch or better with factory loads. Better with handloads.
Tons of them on gunbroker.com

I am looking to pick up a new rifle for hunting in WV. Targets are white tail and black bear. I will be taking this rifle on multi-day trips into the national forest. I currently have a push feed Model 70 but it's pretty beat up, losing accuracy, and not as weather resistant as I'd like. My budget is 700ish for rifle only.

Requirements:
Light weight
Stainless
Synthetic stock
Not a Remington or Savage(own too many of both already)

Nice to haves but not required:
<MOA accuracy
Smooth action
Internal (BDL) mag
Barrel thick enough at muzzle for threading a suppressor

So far my contenders are: Tikka T3 stainless lite, Steyr Pro Hunter, Winchester 70 ultimate shadow stainless

The Tikka seems to be the lightest, The Steyr has the best stock from what I can tell, and I like the Winchester's controlled feed action.

One modification I will be making is a left side sling attachment.

I am a newish hunter, but have experience backpacking and precision shooting.

I must have missed your "actual" weight requirement.

Not internal magazine but the TCA Compass at $399 is hard to beat and .243 and larger is already threaded for 5/8-24 at the muzzle.
https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bolt-action-rifles/t-c-compass-rifles/t-c-compass#informationhttps://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bolt-action-rifles/t-c-compass-rifles/t-c-compass

Went with the T3x. Wanted it in 30-06 but the only one in stock at cabelas had an off center barrel in the stock inlet. Was rubbing on one side. They had a used one but was $200 more expensive than new and had all sorts of corrosion on it. Ended up getting a new stainless lite in 7mm mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.