Trying to buy a 260 rem

trickytune

Hi I live in Australia so any rifle I buy will need to be sent from the manufacturer to the importers then the retailers. I want a 260 rem but would settle for 6.5x55 or 6.5 creed etc. Can anyone tell me what manufacturers can supply as it seems they are all flat out making guns in the common calibers. I have actually had a 260 on order for almost 6 months now and can't find anything other than Tikka T3 6.5x55 available. I now understand why they are so uncommon as it seems either wait forever or buy another caliber they have in stock. I think thats what most people do.

Hi I live in Australia so any rifle I buy will need to be sent from the manufacturer to the importers then the retailers. I want a 260 rem but would settle for 6.5x55 or 6.5 creed etc. Can anyone tell me what manufacturers can supply as it seems they are all flat out making guns in the common calibers. I have actually had a 260 on order for almost 6 months now and can't find anything other than Tikka T3 6.5x55 available. I now understand why they are so uncommon as it seems either wait forever or buy another caliber they have in stock. I think thats what most people do.

I have a Sako Laminated Varmint in .260 Rem. Couldn't be happier. Get in touch with Beretta Australia.

Cheers

No gunsmiths in your area? Build one, I have a 260 that was built from a Rem 243 and a 6.5 Rem Mag being built right now off of a Tikka T-3 action.

The importers have replied and said Savage expect it to arrive mid Feb so I'm happy with that. I think my next rifle I may get built. I was just frustrated the shelves all seem to be full of low end guns in 223/308/270 etc. Thanks

Thats exactly how my 260 started, , had it trued and barreled by a Benchrest gunsmith then pillar bedded in a McMillan A3 Sporter stock. Took a doe yesterday DRT at 200 yds with the 130 Berger. Very happy with the performance of that bullet

Is there a specific reason why you want a .260 as opposed to 6.5x55? Realistically speaking, were I in your shoes, I would go with the Tikka in 6.5x55 and not look back.

If you just have to have a .260, buy a base model rifle, of whatever brand you like, chambered for .308 or .243, and have it re-barreled.

Personally, I think the 6.5x55 is a better cartridge and I would expect you to have an easier time feeding the old Swede than you would with a .260.

Yeah I agree the 6.5x55 is way easier to get ammo for. And there are some around. I quite like the newer caliber and will just wait now. But as I hunt in 2 countries I am on the lookout for a 6.5x55 second hand as well. I didn't want to build a rifle as you can buy good rifles new just the waiting times are long. There is quite a lot of higher end stuff available but just don't want to spend that much on something that will get beaten up.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.