Trying to build a load for an old rifle

I shoot the same rifle with the slow twist previously noted. I experimented with bullets ranging in weight from 40 50, 52, 55 and up. I also use IMR4198. The load you listed is very much toward the low end of the spectrum. In my 700, it was determined
21.0 grains with a hornady 52 grain match bullet was the best grouping. Sub 1/2 MOA consistently.
Usually around 3/8. I tried many different weight bullets and although many would shoot 1 MOA, other bullet weights were marginally larger in group size
I would thoroughly clean the barrel, scope it and try the load with 52s This is nowhere near book maximum by the way. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Hi all, this is my first post! I was hoping someone could give me some insight about the problems I'm having. I am trying to work a load for coyote hunting with a rem 700 in .223. I believe the barrel is a 1:14 24" long and it's older. When I received the rifle the prev owner said that it had been shot a lot. Maybe 5000rounds. The problem I'm having is inconsistent groups at 100 yards. I'm reloading for this gun and think the problem might be in my powder/ bullet selection. Currently I'm trying IMR 4198 19.3grains with hot day 40gr v max. The other odd thing I'm seeing is measured velocities with a deviation of almost 500 fps. I've replaced the scope on the rifle and tried various loads except factory and I feel like it could be a losing battle. Any help would be appreciated and thanks for pouring over this long post.
The guys on this forum are all very helpful but I would suggest you take your rifle and some ammo to a benchrest range near you. Ask the range officer who best for help with a troublesome rifle and I'm sure you will receive plenty of help. Personally I wouldn't stuff around with a barrel that has shot that many rounds in all climate conditions and possibly in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to clean properly. I have never bought a second hand rifle that the barrel is worth keeping.

If you are willing to spend the money and replace the barrel and would suggest a better cartridge.
223's were designed for automatic rifles so would suggest the 222Rem Mag with the longer neck, particularly if you want to shoot heavier 70 to 80 gn projectiles.
Try a Hart barrel 1 in 14 twist, loading 4198 powder with 50 to 55 gn projectiles for best accuracy. The neck on a 223 is long enough for these projectiles so you could stay with a 223 and find a lot of crappy ammo just about anywhere.

500 fps is a bunch. I had a bad lot of CCI small rifle primers once that gave me the same issue. Try a different lot of primers or a different brand first.

I spent the last 20 plus years of my working career working on rifles, a good deal of that time was spent developing custom loads for rifles, full custom and out of the box factory guns, not hardly a week went by I didn't have two or three to work with if not more, while 5000 rounds is a lot I wouldn't let that scare me, not just yet anyways,
Since a good many shooters don't understand the importance of a clean barrel or how to properly clean start there, I'd attack it not only chemically but one of the better bore paste as well,
A good many of my customers were avid prairie dog shooters, and every true hard core dog shooter has at least one 223, I worked up custom loads for more rifles in 223 than any other, i started this service in the late 80's, at that time i tried to keep on hand a pound of everything that might work well with that cartridge, today not sure i could afford to do that, what I learned is there just is not any one load that will work well in every rifle period, however I did find a couple of loads that worked better than others across the board,
What I will recommend abandon the 4198 and the BT at least for now, with that many rounds down the bore I suspect the best accuracy is not gonna come from a boat tail bullet, if you can find any I would try the Speer 50 gr TNT, Or the sierra 40 gr Blitzking these bullets have very thin jackets that I believe upset and conform to a worn barrel a little better than the solid base boat tail of the nosler, the two powders I found to be user friendly in the 223 are Hodgon 335 and varget along with a Winchester small rifle primer, sometimes I'd have to juggle a primer or two along with adjusting the powder charge somewhat but I could almost always make one of those two powders work, W748 was another that worked well at times,

Wow, a shot out .223 bolt action?? Was it fired full auto until it got red hot??? Ya, I doubt it too. I'd say it's broke in. Get that barrel clean. Don't forget some copper solvent. Check the muzzle for any burrs or damage. Check every screw to make sure they are tight. Check to see the action, stock, and barrel contact each other the way they are supposed to. Try a couple boxes of factory ammo, not the steel case crap. I'll bet the gun will still shoot great. This forum is focused on maximum accuracy. Many old factory sporting guns are not going to shoot sub-minute-of-angle. If it shoots consistent groups that hit an inch at 100 yards, the gun is most likely shooting as it was originally intended. If you want better, then spend some money. Be sure to have fun and NOT make it like work!!

At the moment I'm trying to find different powder to get my speeds more acceptable also prepping cases with more care. I'm still trying to find a better ES. I have managed to improve them a bit. Lots of good info here and I greatly appreciate it. If anyone is interested in trading some powder I'm looking for varget or h335. I have some imr4350 to trade