Trying my luck with BP

Remmy700

So drew a unit 15 Gila mule deer tag this year for muzzle loader so picked up this TC Endeavor pro hunter. Put a egw base on it, seekins rings and a FFp vortex pst. Bought most of all the small stuff I need and going out tomorrow to find some BH209. Already got some CCI 209m regular shot shell primers. I get overwhelmed looking at bullets but was going to order some Parker 275 ballistic extreme bullets. When I was stationed in Florida I dabbled a little with muzzle loading but have since brain dumped all that. Before I used pellets with tc 250 shockwaves and do remeber it shot fairly well but I did full bore clean between shots. Is this same cleaning regiment needed with BH209 and also for u guys with encores and using bh209 where is a good place to start? I do intend on weighing my charges out with my A&D FX120i and I do understand the conversion when talking weight vs volume. Any help would be appreciated fellows, I am excited!! Listed this encore for sale as was going to get a Remington UML but have since read many places that these can shoot also.
1AA27EF5-32EE-468B-BC5F-6C7BB2E4E154.jpeg

110grs VOLUME of BH209, Barnes 290gr T-EZ bullets. If you prefer a lighter bullet, the 250gr TMZ or T-EZ.

Any place you can legally hunt with an Encore platform rifle, you can hunt with the Remington Ultimate. IMO the RUM with the new breech plug from Arrowhead would be my choice, especially for longer range.

Great Tag, nice purchase. Been looking at one for a backup. Best place to get BuckHorn is on line, powder valley is about the best I have found. Tons of good bullets, for elk I would lean towards 300 grain. Check out PR Bullets as well, very flat shooting and reasonable. Anywhere from 100-120 grains of BH should work. Also don't count out 777 the pellets are very convenient.

So before when I used pellets I cleaned between every shot and could always maintain fairly good groups in my omega but if I didn't clean between shots using pellets groups seem to really open up. Is this what I can also expect using BH209? I have read that it burns much cleaner and u can shoot more between cleaning during a range session. Just trying to figure out best method before I start searching for loads tomorrow. Thanks fellows

I am pretty new to BH but much cleaner in the first 50 or so rounds. Pulled the breach plug and not even close to as dirty with 777 pellets. I am in a habit of running one patch down the bore between shots so that's what I have stuck with. No issue shooting about 25 shots and then cleaning with this method. 777 I would have to give it a quick clean every 6-8 shot when it got hard to load.

Hey R700 - Try 91 grains by WEIGHT of BH209. BH209 is the closest thing to smokeless powder, both in cleanliness and charge. You likely won't need to clean until after your hunt.......after cleaning, I would always shoot a dummy round before shooting at game. Also, check out the Arrowhead 310 gr. bullets.....they are wicked on game and appear to be made by Parker, having a high BC.

BH 209 is a great powder and it cleans up with normal gun solvents; Hoppes etc. Just make sure you regularly clean the flame channel in your Breech Plug. The BH 209 website has detailed instructions on handling this job. It can cause misfires if you don't stay on top of it.

Stocked up on BH209 and swapped out scope to a zeiss z4. Got some Barnes 250s and Zoe federal bore lock to try tomorrow. Going to just keep plugging away till I find a good load. Thanks for all the help fellows
8B97F1C5-0751-4598-B481-F32AFE2A978D.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts