Try a "Revolutionary" New Ballistic Computer

cronhelm

Gentlemen,

Dave King and I have been working on a collaborative effort to produce a "revolutionary" new idea in Ballistic Computers.

The "Thing" as we have taken to calling it is a highly modified Excel spreadsheet that is now ready to be released on the unsuspecting public. That is you guys.

Because we want some reasonably intelligent shooters to try it out we are offering it free of charge, exclusively to this list.

What is revolutionary about yet another "Ballistic Computer"?

Well this one calculates the distance for you (from supplied info) and then chooses the appropriate Drop and Windage data for the distance.

The "Thing" can calculate ballistic data from three different types of ranges: MIL Dots, GPS Coords and Known Distance data.

Got a GPS? Simply enter the coord data and the wind direction to the first coord and the computer calculates the windage direction and factor for every other data point.

I have personally been testing this system in the field and it works GREAT! Getting the GPS coords is a bit of work but once you have this data it is worth it.

As a measure of how well the system works, I made a single round hit on a gopher (small prairie dog) at 395yds. This was the first shot of the day. I also made hits on gophers at 460 and 470 yds simply by dialing in the supplied drop and windage.

Please try this system and let us know how you like it and how it could be improved.
http://www.nucleus.com/~cronhelm/index.html

Choose the Ballistics Page. Then click on the link to RBC (Ranging Ballistic Computer)

Peter Cronhelm
Dave King

Dear Dave and Peter
this is a super deal but i have a few questions.For me it is like i just found gold Ok On the GPS if I were to come up on a wolf kill site, I punch in the kill then I punch in the place I am going to make the shot from Please excuse the brain dead questions
smile.gif
smile.gif
My GPS is checked every year to put me no more than 3 foot from target Due to the fact that i run the Youkon border for about 90 miles then cut back in to Alaska I can shoot a wolf and have him drop on the border but cant cross the border for love or money so i have to know where the border is at all times when i am working that 90 miles so i know my GPS is right on the money and If i happen to come up on a fresh kill,I know the wolves will be back at least one more time or at least the one year and two year olds will be the older ones may have moved on so spending a day in the area may be good for me and how do you add in the wind along with Lat and Long sorry for all the Questions but I will use this all winter and let you know how it works Thanks Roy

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: Coyote Slayer ]

Coyote Slayer,

That is one of the methods in which the system can be used. Punch in the UTM coordinates of a wolf kill(TRP) and then go find a suitable shooting position (FFP). Punch in the UTM coodinates of your firing position. The computer will calculate the elevation and windage corrections for the exact range to the target.

You will have to punch in the wind direction on the Cartridge Info page for a single FFP to TRP calculation. If you happen to have several TRP's that can be shot at from a single FFP then you punch in the wind direction directly on the GPS page. The wind direction should be punched in using the supplied "up/down" arrows.

Play with it a bit and you will quickly see what I am talking about. This thing does seem complicated at first but once you get used to how it works, it is very easy to use.

Clif,

The ComeUp MOA is the MOA value required to go from one range increment to the next range increment.

For example if you want to move from 100yds to 150yds then simply click the scope up the number of MOA displayed in this column.

To go from 100yds to 200yds you would have to add the 150yd and 200yd values to get the correct "come-up".

Peter Cronhelm

PS: I used this computer to kill a coyote at 477 yds in a 15mph crosswind yesterday. I connected on the second round only because the coyote turned out to be much smaller than I had realized which introduced an error into the MIL range estimation. Had the coyote been the size I though he was, the first round would have connected easily.

I bet it will I am really impressed with it so far and like i said i know my GPS is on the money so this schould work just fine well thanks and have a good one:Slayer

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.