Trupulse 200 rangefinder?

i asked the same question ages ago... noone on here seems to have tried them.

Please post how it goes for us! great potential considering it has a hypsometer built in aswell. Very reputable company also, they make heaps of laser gear for, law enforcement, govt etc.

good luck

I'll report back after I get it in the field and try it out. I like the idea of reading the angle in degrees instead of TBR or ARC ect.. Hopefully I dont regret it! But I'm getting it to my door for $300 and it lists for twice that or better! We'll see if it's worth it. I only have a Bushnell legend at the moment, so I definitely need something a little better. After reading some of the reports on here from the Bushnell Legend 1500, i'm starting to wonder if i should've went that route. One report I read on the forum the guy was claiming readings on whitetails out way past 1000yds. That cant be right!

Ok guys, I got this thing in and i'm ready to test it out. I managed to range a few things this evening with it. The longest was a water tower at about 1100yds, the sun was out and I only got to play with it for about 20 minutes. I only have have a bushnell legend to compare it to, and it beats it hands down. But, it should be in a higher class than that! I live in Missouri, and finding something to range at around here is tricky. It is totally flat land with trees all over. If anyone has a scientific aproach to testing a range finder, let me know! I want to put this thing through the ringer and let you know the details.

My first opinion is this: This is not a rangefinder you would want to go into the field with, without prior practice with. It has a lot of options that take time to learn. You can get lost in the options if you dont know how to navigate them. I spent about 30 minutes on the menus, and pretty much have it figured out. I do like the ability to show line of site distance, angle in degrees to target. This is more beneficial than to me than a generic TBR or ARC as some companies would derive as a "fix for all shots". You can also use the HD "Horizontal Distance" to figure true hrizontal distance to target. This is much like the TBR and ARC funtions of other rangefinders. You can also use the HT function to figure height. this consists of: 1): a distance reading. 2): an angle measurement to the base of the target. 3): an angle measurement to the top of target. The on board computer figures all of this data to get you a triangulated figure for the vertical height of a target. "used in the forrestry industy to measure tree height" The rangefinder also has a VD funtion. This lets you shoot a beam to a target, and it lets you know the height above your current elevation to what you just shot the beam at.

This thing has some cool features. How well it ranges at long range is yet to be determined. Let me know what you want me to try with this "new toy" and I'll try to get you back some usefull info.

well, most people on here will ask how well it ranges game animals, then other things that may be around your quarry such as trees grass and rocks if you cant get a reading on the animal itself... doesnt really help if you test it on reflective road signs, houses, cars etc....

test it in different light conditions such as full sun and twilight and note how much better it is in the twilight.

Comment on how often it will not range at all and how sensitive it is ranging "off hand" as opposed to holding it steady on a sandbag etc...

And lastly, try ranging at targets thru trees or scrub at distance to gain some insight into how much beam divergence it has. You could also determine this by ranging things over very flat ground and see it picks up other things in front of your target somtimes and gives you different ranges...

Im in the process of testing the Zeiss PRF and will post findings once ive spent some more time with it... love new toys :D

I have not had a chance to get out into the field with this thing yet. I have ranged some in town in sunny and clody conditions. There is not much of a difference. I ranged a water tower at 1510yds, which is my max distance so far in cloudy conditions. I ranged it the next day at 1430yds in sunny conditions using my hand as a sunshade for the rangefinder. I would really like to try this thing out on some whitetails, but see no time on stand anytime soon.. Has anyone ever done some standardized testing with some range finders? Say maybe using a "white 2ft by 2ft plywood target" at various ranges? We need to create some form of standardized testing!!!

After doing some research myself I found that they have a "foliage" filter available. Would like to see how well this works and if it diminishes the units ability.

I have not used the Trupulse 200 but I do have the older Laser Technology (LTI) Impulse 200 XL and LR range finders. Those use an external scope for aiming.
The good points are it has very long range. I've measure trees up to 2400 yards and it's reliable off randomly selected rocks and trees to around a mile. It's the only range finder I've used which has a Weaver rail so I can snap on a night vision scope and make accurate distance measurements in low light. All range finders work in the dark, it's just that with most you can't tell where you're aiming and/or read the screen.

The Impulse range finder's downsides are it's physically larger than than the Swarovski Guide or Leica 1200, more the size and weight of the older Leica Geovid binoculars. It also has a larger beam spread than the Leicas. I haven't measured it but I'd guess its around 10 MOA. The beam is square in cross section. Thats the sshape of the laser chip itself. It works at around 920 nanometers as do most of the commercial laser range finders. It's beam is visible with a Gen 2 or Gen 3 night vision scope so a night vision scope doesn't have to be re-zeroed to use them together.

Again though, that's the older Impulse model, not the Truepulse. All I know about the Trupulse is from the LTI literature. I can say I've not had any problems with my Impulse units. The. The range finders are the same except the XR also measures inclination, does height calculations, and has a serial computer interface which the LR unit does not. They are designed for the construction and timber industries so neither do ballistic calculations. The inclination however is useful for shooting.

The LTI's give much longer range measurements than my Leica 1200. Still, the Leica 1200 is the one I'm more likely to be carrying for most applications. I don't shoot at an animal if I don't think it will be a clean kill, and no commercial rangefinder I know of handles downrange wind deflection which is the primary source of long range shooting error once you know the distance.

Last edited:
I got this range finder during the summer and used it a bit. My review. Royally sucks in fog, but so does Leica, bushnell, etc. I have found no range finders that can range ANY fog. From very light and can see 500 yards out to maybe 50 yards of shooting distance, all are incapable of ranging in this environment. Does good in rain but not completely sure, it was a lighter rain. Will find out about snow as well later in winter. Ranging capabilities: It will not do what is advertised but 1500 yards is good enough:rolleyes:. However, it cannot and will not range unless completely stable, so that means mounting on tripod, otherwise best range is probably around 600 yards off hand. I tried it each and every way it will not range long distance with you just using your hands and a solid rest on a bench it did good but can't take a bench to the field, so tripod it has to be. It does have 8x magnification which is huge especially from the smaller size of the Leica. It is definitely not as quick as the Leica 1200. However, it has slope distance, horizontal distance, foliage, etc. So more options depending on circumstances can be better. Also for the foliage function, it can only work maybe a hundred yards out if I remember correctly. So basically, if your shooting long range, you most likely have plenty of time and can range and be more precise with this tool, measure the true distance and so on, thats what I am doing, otherwise the Leica will be the first out for needing to be quick to shoot or with level shooting. So I carry both. Hope this helps.

I've played around with this thing some since I bought it almost a year ago. Overall, i like it for what i paid for it. But, I only paid $200 for it on ebay. It retails for $600-$700, and there are better rangefinders for hunting in that price range. I've been able to range trees ot to 1150yds, deer to beyond 600yds, and highly reflective objects to almost 1500yds. You have to have the rangefinder steady to get long readings with it! For a hunting rangefinder it does all I need. If you can get a steal of deal on one of these like I did, then go for it. I haven't found anything under $450 that will do what this one will, however a leica 1200-1600 or swaro will beat the truepulse hands down.

I just discovered yesterday something interesting. The Trupulse 200 was actually going to be Huskemaws rangefinder, the only alteration was the color and name otherwise the exact same thing. I found that out awhile back during the summer. What I just discovered though is that G7(Aaron Davidson who is part of Mike Davidson and Gunwerks) teamed up with Trupulse and is now getting a brand new Trupulse rangefinder called the G7 BR2, it looks a lot different and looks to be a big step up from the Trupulse 200 which isn't meant for hunting anyway but can be used for it. Just thought I'd spread the word.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.