Truing a brand new Remy action...

I'm hearing a lot of smiths say there's no real need to true a new undesignated Remy action. They are saying it wouldn't necessarily effect accuracy doing it or not. They said if the the action had a barrel already, yes truing would be good. Thoughts?

I purchased a AAC (Remington) Model 7 action from Brownells. One of the two bolt lugs did not contact the receiver at all. I did some lapping with zero results. The gunsmith I took it to said most new Remington actions are not true and some are not even straight enough to tune.

I purchased a AAC (Remington) Model 7 action from Brownells. One of the two bolt lugs did not contact the receiver at all. I did some lapping with zero results. The gunsmith I took it to said most new Remington actions are not true and some are not even straight enough to tune.

It seems those AAC Model Sevens have consistently been some of the worst I've heard about. I was talking to an instructor of mine, and he was telling me that a lot of the ones he saw come from Brownell's stock had scope mounts off center, too. We had one student in a class a few years ago with me that had an AAC 700 .308 that just wouldn't shoot after truing up the bolt and receiver.

Not to get off topic but my dad was a tool & die maker at the local cannon factory. He did 8" cannons and then the 155 mm cannons. Wish I had let him buy me the lathe he talked about and taught me all about guns before he passed.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.