Truing a brand new Remy action...

Dirt_Nap

I'm hearing a lot of smiths say there's no real need to true a new undesignated Remy action. They are saying it wouldn't necessarily effect accuracy doing it or not. They said if the the action had a barrel already, yes truing would be good. Thoughts?

I'm seeing .002-004 run-out on the face of the newest ones and the lugs will be slightly less. The worst part is the bolt handle needs relocated so you have primary extraction on most. I thinks it's worth squaring them and fixing primary extraction, beyond that get a quality custom action.

Every action can benefit from truing !!! I have yet to find an action that didn't have some dimensional discrepancies. some are ok and some are terrible. If you are building a rifle for accuracy, it is smart to have it trued before you find out that it is disappointing. If everything is true, square and on the bore center line working up accuracy loads is much easier.

Also they are less finicky and will normally shoot several loads good and when the right load is found accuracy is excellent.

When building a accurate rifle, short cuts are the enemy. Also don't let someone tell you that all the action needs is locking lug lapping. That is only a small part of truing a action. There are at least 7 different operations for a real blue print of an action. In some cases there are more depending on the condition or the machining. The actions on a rifle are machined the same those that have not been installed and have the same rejection standards, so essentially they are the same.

I blue print/true "ALL Actions" no mater how new, used, what brand
or I wont build the rifle with any accuracy guarantee. the other benefit to truing an action is that you can learn how much abuse it has seen or in the case of a brand new action the quality control and machining accuracy that may lead to other inspections and work needed.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
the last 2 Remington actions I purchased, 1 the barrel threads were offset more than .010. You could see the flat spot where the threads didn't cut. The other the front mount screw was slightly offset. They were not consecutively numbered.

Why would you need to remove a barrel and true that action but not true one without a barrel.

Screwing a barrel into an action isn't going to change it in any significant way. It's either close to true or far from it regardless of whether or not there's a barrel in it.

And here I thought the whole reason for a custom action was that all of this had already been done by the mfg. Good to know that is not the case. Suspect the degree of "readiness" varies with the particular mfg?

I'm seeing .002-004 run-out on the face of the newest ones and the lugs will be slightly less. The worst part is the bolt handle needs relocated so you have primary extraction on most. I thinks it's worth squaring them and fixing primary extraction, beyond that get a quality custom action.

Agreed.

I'm hearing a lot of smiths say there's no real need to true a new undesignated Remy action. They are saying it wouldn't necessarily effect accuracy doing it or not. They said if the the action had a barrel already, yes truing would be good. Thoughts?

An action that is straight, concentric, and properly aligned is always a good start.
The reason behind the aftermarket actions is largely because of factory actions violating the tenets of accuracy.
Trueing any factory action means you'll be on the way to getting the most out of it.

Screwing a barrel into an action isn't going to change it in any significant way. It's either close to true or far from it regardless of whether or not there's a barrel in it.

And here I thought the whole reason for a custom action was that all of this had already been done by the mfg. Good to know that is not the case. Suspect the degree of "readiness" varies with the particular mfg?

Custom actions are machined the same way as factory actions (CNC). only the quality control if different. Sometimes it is much better and other times it is no better.

The best way to find out is to do the set up and let the action tell you if it needs blue printing/truing. Everything should be based on the bolt center line, once you establish this, all work has to be based on the bolt center line. This includes all recoil surfaces, bolt face, action threads, action face, sear alignment, action screw holes, scope base hole alignment, Even a precision ground recoil lug for best barrel alignment.

Plus anything else that doesn't fill the need for perfect center line alignment/square. the only thing that you may find that has little if any effect on accuracy is the OD of most actions are not true to the center line. (Not concentric to the bolt bore) bedding will take care of this as long as it is not to bad.

J E CUSTOM

90% of the gunsmiths out there don't qualify their tooling to find center so very, very few actually have the tooling that is of sufficient quality and tolerance to actually be making an improvement on many things. A good many hold the actions in a manner that puts stress in the action their truing till you take it out and it's springs back. There are many layers to if it's worth it, if the smith is using separate bushings that have not been checked on a surface plate and a 1/2 inch bar that has not been inspected you stand a good chance of having the same action after truing as before, between the poor quality of the bushings then the tolerance stacking with that system are you really getting a trued action?

90% of the gunsmiths out there don't qualify their tooling to find center so very, very few actually have the tooling that is of sufficient quality and tolerance to actually be making an improvement on many things. A good many hold the actions in a manner that puts stress in the action their truing till you take it out and it's springs back. There are many layers to if it's worth it, if the smith is using separate bushings that have not been checked on a surface plate and a 1/2 inch bar that has not been inspected you stand a good chance of having the same action after truing as before, between the poor quality of the bushings then the tolerance stacking with that system are you really getting a trued action?
That's why I have you do mine!!:D

Got a smoking deal on a lefty ss sa Remington. Decided to have my smith do his thing to it. Shooting small rifle primers and had firing pin bushed too.

Will post results once I get it back and bedded.

It looks like he does good work !!!

J E CUSTOM

On the Borden website, they state that their actions are machined true to within .0002". I doubt there are any Gunsmiths that would improve that tolerance.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.