Trued vs off the shelf Rem 700 Action

Okie Whitetail Hunter

Is it really necessary to True up a Rem 700 Action or can a factory Rem 700 Action build be just as accurate?

I am asking because I am looking at building a 6.5 PRC or 300 PRC Remage style for hunting out to 600 yards. I shoot this distance quite often with my Creedmoor. However back to the main question does one truly need to true up or blueprint a Rem 700 to make accurate build?

I am also looking at going with a Big Horn Origin for my build but was curious about my above question.

Last edited:
Is it really necessary to True up a Rem 700 Action or can a factory Rem 700 Action build be just as accurate?

Necessary? No
Can it be just as accurate? Yes it can, simply because most of the accuracy potential resides in the quality of the barrel.
Will it? Maybe. Some Rem actions are better than others due to manufacturing variation.

Removing variables is why people have them trued. It comes down to personal preference and your willingness to accept less accuracy potential.

Necessary? No
Can it be just as accurate? Yes it can
Will it? Maybe. Some Rem actions are better than others.

Removing variables is why people have them trued. It comes down to personal preference and your willingness to accept less accuracy potential.
sure its possible but if you are going to the expense of building a rifle don't you want it to be the best it can be the action is the foundation of the rifle better off having it right

On a hunting weight rifle you are not going to see much difference most times. The barrel is where most of your accuracy lies. Buy a good barrel and have it bedded right. Put the money saved on truing into a decent trigger. It will probably shoot under 1/2 moa. or real close. If you need more accuracy consider getting it trued or get a custom. But generally 700s shoot pretty good stock.
Shep

Remington hasn't used riveted extractors in a long time. They just snap in place now. The 700 extractor is actually quite strong. You practically have to rip the nose of the bolt off to break one. As a gunsmith in 30 yrs I've replaced 2 that were broke. I've replaced many with Sako extractors for customers but it's not needed.
Shep

I'm guessing since he's using a Remage that he's wanting to avoid sending parts off to a gunsmith.
Adam32 yes I prefer to do projects myself. I have built several Remage rifles and they have been fairly accurate. I am just now wanting to get into something a little better receiver wise. I like the Big Horn Origin action as I can do the same Remage style setup using a savage small shank barrel setup. But wasn't sure if getting a Rem 700 trued would be just as good or if I stick with the regular ole Rem 700 action. Either setup I could do in my garage. So minimal gun smith work required. Appreciate everyone responses and help.

I am asking because I am looking at building a 6.5 PRC or 300 PRC Remage style for hunting out to 600 yards. I shoot this distance quite often with my Creedmoor. However back to the main question does one truly need to true up or blueprint a Rem 700 to make accurate build?

I am also looking at going with a Big Horn Origin for my build but was curious about my above question.
if you are going to use a rem action true it but I would go with the bighorn and for carbonfiber a shoulder fit or for S.S. barrel head over to PVA for it and they offer 3 different freebores for the 6.5 PRC

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.