Trued/tuned Savage vs. Trued/tuned Rem 700

I'd true a Remington. First off I think it's a better action not to mention better looking by a country mile and definitely better resale. I don't see any Savage clone custom actions but everyone seems to have copied the Remington 700 action.
I've always thought Savage was a cheap lower quality gun.

The savage is an inexpensive gun. They have.a reputation as a very accurate out of the box rifle.

My savages are just range toys. I bought the the actions just to see what i could do with them.

I know i can plunk down $3500 and get a rifle that has the capability to shoot in the 1's and 2's. Been there and done that.

I wanted to see if i could put a savage together myself that could do that. For a $1200 investment and a.little sweat equity i have come pretty close. With a little more load development i believe i will get there. Is it as smooth an action as a.stiller panda? Hell no! Is the trigger as.crisp as.a.jewel. of course not. Will it shoot. You bet!

Personally i think it.is.a.good looking rifle. I am too busy to get.around.to finishing the laminated stock but.with 20 coats of clear it will stand out in a crowd.

My Actions - BigHorn ArmsBigHorn Arms SR2 LA is exactly that and then some ...

1020150838_zpsc2fkqjtb.jpg

1020150835a_zpsgovhjr0t.jpg

The TL3s are even better ...

https://youtu.be/rWB4sPNFyWY?t=40

https://youtu.be/ZSM3CYOcGgI?t=1

You are the producer of these actions?! I've been on the fence over them for a number of years now. If I knew they were of your making, I'd have looked a lot closer and probably driven you mad with my incessant questions

You are the producer of these actions?! I've been on the fence over them for a number of years now. If I knew they were of your making, I'd have looked a lot closer and probably driven you mad with my incessant questions
No Will, he's just so jacked about it that he's posted more pictures of it than the manufacture:D Poor action will probably be worn out before it gets a barrel :)

I think my savage looks pretty nice. Here is a work in progress. What do you guys think

savage%20inlet%20job%203_zpsstq9pfhe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As my post read I stand corrected on the Savage actions. I meant to have an M as in "many actions" but I'll take the punishment due to my error.

No Will, he's just so jacked about it that he's posted more pictures of it than the manufacture:D Poor action will probably be worn out before it gets a barrel :)

L:cool:L! Believe me, if I am the manufacturer of the action, I'll have more pictures as Rhian noted. :)

Will, I will tell you how to fix a Savage target action if you want, my bench rest rifle is a Savage Target action with Right bolt, left load and left eject which I have converted to a right eject micro port. Original accutrigger running at 3 ounces without dropping the sear. Bolt runs with your finger tips. I've also made a drop port that is pretty cool that I could drop the little SS rounds out the bottom of the stock while loading one the left side

I decided to go even cheaper than a target action... �� Hopefully your advice will apply to this action as well
Picked up a Stevens 200 chambered for 308 Win at $200! Figured that's not bad for an action. I'm thinking I'll place my order for a Criterion pre-fit and chambered barrel, along with a Stockade Woodchuck, a longer tactical bolt knob and possibly the bolt lift kit from Stockade as well. Obviously will be picking up a new recoil lug and barrel nut.
Any information you would like to share about tuning/timing the Savage action and truing would be great Rhian.
I'm also curious what y'all's opinions on aftermarket triggers are - NSS Rifle Basix Sav-2 or SSS Competition trigger?

Score! Ya they are just fine to work with, just no frills action, it is a small shank action vs the target actions large shank but not a big deal unless you were going for a Lapua sized something. The stockade stocks are nice, I order them unfinished then Bondo and sand then have them hydro dipped.

Score! Ya they are just fine to work with, just no frills action, it is a small shank action vs the target actions large shank but not a big deal unless you were going for a Lapua sized something. The stockade stocks are nice, I order them unfinished then Bondo and sand then have them hydro dipped.

Good to know on the Stockades. This won't be any sort of hotrod, I'm thinking it will be a 6x47 Lapua. I don't particularly care for bondo and sanding but may give it a try to save some more money on my "cheap" build.
Is there any way to get rid of the Savage sloppy bolt feel? I know it's not a custom action but it just seems like it wiggles around significantly compared to my Howa and 700 LTR.

I have shot savages since the early 90's, ive had 2000$ custom savages, ive built them as well...

accuracy is in the barrel, not the action...

with the cost of savage actions, there is ZERO advantage to building a savage...
http://northlandshooterssupply.com/actions/savage/

known savage issues...
extractors blow, they drop brass back into the action
trigger issues

I've been shooting PRS type competitions for probably the last 12 to 15 years, and I can say almost without a doubt that there hasn't been a single competition I've been at that I haven't seen a malfunction caused by a Savage.

And all of them directly related to The Savage action and triggers.

The few times I've ever seen malfunctions in Remington's were usually magazine related issues not action related issues and the only trigger related issues I've ever seen were caused by people using Jewell Triggers which are notoriously unreliable in harsh conditions.

the 700 cost me 1100 to build

new action 370$
BHW rem-age Match barrel 325$
Magpul Chassis 280$
YaptHhXLbJrpwOVEoXRJphuexR7pq9-DnRPot9vQwXNAlv5nBr_bK-2YeqvbW-H4putahyd7x0tkNde_LVyplufCv7cmdmPRy8Tq9yCNvJ4wJEGYP2rlgLYIzaorUwDKRrNKaYxHNfLaBe5qOTFHNvuFUtoRDh57Z7odZjEYgMkTN8Lhh4J57Z6IJyamE4j2YMpM7WMHGvJPcaSjnHJ-6S-FBjsoensv9XlMw0i0_nuqJ9McNVaElyd7tO5XhiSyPXV9GAUlEoIFzDwwGBq5hVXZNQWFRkzomIjsSr4bP6HIvxZrDFy36evdzmUvHXODeL7OqQe2dx2fFhxuR0PJEkjR6fNzuOz50k_o-EO3ICZnOOCaAPgWzQN4quemRwvjSMIWDOBEyHIXtBU74GvJ7cyh6ZiRSYTNzJ7rxl6mD_TEhGeoTPAlJTyU94dht5P5NAGTDc_lXoUTuLgcVt_NgMp6p6geYwLNNrqKe8gPv0w0VH8mSzrlloaofz4Nb6ZP8_6RENZxXDj9RfXQaCNC1mSwr9Hg7CPUBoJ6SvFpG46LAfMe4GPMhfANo5SAOjCAz0ZUf-Wbrsy7vAXct4LO2T4PQDxraOjc80TLK2Z2=w1283-h949-no

1E7AA376-48C3-4642-AA5E-84F962A5B823.jpeg
These groups were shot at 100yds off a Harris bipod with a stock savage lrpv that I converted to .308 win. Only thing done was install a pac-nor barrel, adjust factory trigger, and skim bed the stock. This is with virgin Winchester brass and 3 different seating depths when I was doing load development. I doubt I could get another rifle for any amount of money to shoot better then this...Period. Custom or not

I have shot savages since the early 90's, ive had 2000$ custom savages, ive built them as well...

accuracy is in the barrel, not the action...

with the cost of savage actions, there is ZERO advantage to building a savage...
http://northlandshooterssupply.com/actions/savage/

known savage issues...
extractors blow, they drop brass back into the action
trigger issues

I've been shooting PRS type competitions for probably the last 12 to 15 years, and I can say almost without a doubt that there hasn't been a single competition I've been at that I haven't seen a malfunction caused by a Savage.

And all of them directly related to The Savage action and triggers.

The few times I've ever seen malfunctions in Remington's were usually magazine related issues not action related issues and the only trigger related issues I've ever seen were caused by people using Jewell Triggers which are notoriously unreliable in harsh conditions.

the 700 cost me 1100 to build

new action 370$
BHW rem-age Match barrel 325$
Magpul Chassis 280$

I tend to agree. PRS does subject a rifle to very high volume and demanding conditions. I have seen frequent malfunctions with both the Savage and Remington's (throw in the Ruger PRS), and would not choose them for serious PRS competition, preferring one of the well proven custom actions. On the other hand, for hunting and less demanding applications, the Remington or Savage can generally last a lifetime with excellent service. IMO.

I am LMFAO at this thread. Some great quotes. In my F Class club several members do extremely well with Savages but I prefer my customized M700 (just got it's 5th Krieger)

Why?

Because shooting a Savage is like riding a scooter.....it might be fun but you don't want your friends to see you doing it:)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.