Trued/tuned Savage vs. Trued/tuned Rem 700

You just cut the rear features down a little to regain any lost primary extraction by moving the handle geometry closer, the Rem you have to remove the bolt handle with heat, secure it in the right place and Tig in back.
Really to smooth up a Savage you just need to polish a few things then put a bolt lift kit in to reduce the drag of the sleeve on the back bolt, also really helps to put in a sear over cock stop which is a lot of the bolt lift on the top end after you've technically cocked it. The Savage is also super easy to adjust firing pin protrusion which I like.

You just cut the rear features down a little to regain any lost primary extraction by moving the handle geometry closer, the Rem you have to remove the bolt handle with heat, secure it in the right place and Tig in back.
Really to smooth up a Savage you just need to polish a few things then put a bolt lift kit in to reduce the drag of the sleeve on the back bolt, also really helps to put in a sear over cock stop which is a lot of the bolt lift on the top end after you've technically cocked it. The Savage is also super easy to adjust firing pin protrusion which I like.

Thanks for the explanation. Being from a mechanical and machinist background, I'm just trying to learn. Might possibly attempt it one day. I guess if I mess it up, Savage bolts are realitively cheap haha

What was the wait time?!
I'm very interested to hear how Fred's tune/trigger clean things up!
When do you get it back?! If that's the ticket, all my builds will be going there and be built off Savage target actions that are milled out to be repeaters because the barrel nut has never bothered me, it's the silly "bobbed" looking bolt shroud.

Well i have two of the dual port target actions.

One is stock with a shilen prefit 6BR barrel and a richards microfit benchrest stock. Shoots great. Just needs smoother bolt lift and a better trigger. First time for me putting one together. Learned a lot bedding and inletting the stock.

The second one i sent to Fred. Told him to do all he could with it. Time and true and whatever else he could do. His benchrest trigger. Bought his Dogtracker stock and he is bedding this action. He said 3 months. With gun stuff i have.learned patience. I will get when i get it. Then i can compare the two and see if there is really improvement.

Why sure....if we can't "tease each other" about our choices in women, rifles, horses and dogs...what fun is there in that? :) Actually...these "new" so-called inexpemsive rifles by several companies are way, way far and gone "uglier" than any Savage out there....to me! :)

I'd true a Remington. First off I think it's a better action not to mention better looking by a country mile and definitely better resale. I don't see any Savage clone custom actions but everyone seems to have copied the Remington 700 action.
I've always thought Savage was a cheap lower quality gun.

I don't see any Savage clone custom actions but everyone seems to have copied the Remington 700 action.

My Actions - BigHorn ArmsBigHorn Arms SR2 LA is exactly that and then some ...

1020150838_zpsc2fkqjtb.jpg

1020150835a_zpsgovhjr0t.jpg

The TL3s are even better ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/rWB4sPNFyWY?t=40[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/ZSM3CYOcGgI?t=1[/ame]

I'd true a Remington. First off I think it's a better action not to mention better looking by a country mile and definitely better resale. I don't see any Savage clone custom actions but everyone seems to have copied the Remington 700 action.
I've always thought Savage was a cheap lower quality gun.
hmmmm I don't know if the custom makers have cloned the Savages much but I do know that Remington has cloned Savage, as has about every other maker out there.

hmmmm I don't know if the custom makers have cloned the Savages much but I do know that Remington has cloned Savage, as has about every other maker out there.

This is true. I really don't see where a Remington action is prettier then a Savage. I have owned my share of Remington's, not anymore..... I just couldn't stand the way the bolt drops in the rear when you squeeze the trigger, and don't get me started on the bolt lugs....:) contact sucks. I know, I know that is why got made Smith's. I also know that both brands of actions can be picked on.....but.....I'm still a Savage fan for my own reasons, and that's good enough for me.:) Mine all shoot exceptionally well....:)

Don Dunlap

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.