True Velocity ammunition.

Noidly1

Has anyone seen this stuff before?
I went to Cabela's today and saw a display they had there with this company's products.
These are plastic cased ammo. https://www.tvammo.com

They had on display .308 168-grain Nosler Custom Competition HPBT, 165-grain Nosler Accubond and 168-grain Sierra MatchKing.
If you go to their website they show a bunch of calibers but only have the 3 above in production.

What I found funny was that they have both 147/.308 and 147/NATO listed separately on different pages but both have the same info. Why bother???

They claim better accuracy, "Our patented technologies combine to produce a cartridge that provides unsurpassed accuracy", of coarse, just as everyone else does but I don't see them being any better than any other "Boxed" metal cased ammo out there.

Here is the kicker, for me anyway, they want $70 dollars($69.99)) for a box of 20 of those things. Really?

Also, I don't see them being any good for the environment since they cant be reloaded and the will just end up in the landfill.
I say that because I don't see anyone wanting to have to figure out how to much less actually recycle them.

BTW. I remember I think it was HK had developed a plastic cased round but I don't remember it ever catching on.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen this stuff before?
I went to Cabela's today and saw a display they had there with this company's products.
These are plastic cased ammo. https://www.tvammo.com

They had on display .308 168-grain Nosler Custom Competition HPBT, 165-grain Nosler Accubond and 168-grain Sierra MatchKing.
If you go to their website they show a bunch of calibers but only have the 3 above in production.

What I found funny was that they have both 147/.308 and 147/NATO listed separately on different pages but both have the same info. Why bother???

They claim better accuracy, "Our patented technologies combine to produce a cartridge that provides unsurpassed accuracy", of coarse, just as everyone else does but I don't see them being any better than any other "Boxed" metal cased ammo out there.

Here is the kicker, for me anyway, they want $70 dollars($69.99)) for a box of 20 of those things. Really?

Also, I don't see them being any good for the environment since they cant be reloaded and the will just end up in the landfill.
I say that because I don't see anyone wanting to have to figure out how to much less actually recycle them.

BTW. I remember I think it was HK had developed a plastic cased round but I don't remember it ever catching on.
As mentioned, whatever they cost, they cannot be reloaded so it is a no go for me.

Not just weight but cost I think was the original motivation for plastic casings. Ironic that they are more expensive now that they are actually hitting the shelves. The concept at least has been around for a while. I know Steyr used them in their prototype for the ACR trials in the late 80's, not sure if they were the first or if others came before.

In a somewhat recent visit to a military department working on this type of ammo, I asked about the ammo in the OP. I was told they ran a number of tests and were not happy with the plastic's sustainability in various conditions.

I've only ever heard limited things about this ammo, but not a single one was ever good

Maybe the plastic cases will cycle smoother?

They claim better accuracy. It is not obvious why a plastic case will be inherently more accurate than a brass case, but I look forward to hearing the user reports.

I had a box in 308 Win. Big, fat, MEH.

If it helps the guys carrying 200 round belts to make the cases from plastic and the links from polymer, by all means chain this stuff up and sent it downrange at 800 rounds a minute. 10 more seconds of fire could make or break for them, anything to help them put more rounds out when it counts isn't a bad thing at all.

But in the meantime for people who want to hit things the first time, every time, hard pass.

There's a season for everything under the sun, it's just very early spring for non-brass cases still.

Maybe the plastic cases will cycle smoother?

They claim better accuracy. It is not obvious why a plastic case will be inherently more accurate than a brass case, but I look forward to hearing the user reports.
It's been a long while since I read the breakdown on this ammo but there was some benefits vis a vie heat transfer when fired at cyclic rate in a full auto firearm.
Apparently the composite cases don't transfer the heat of firing to the chamber like brass cases do thus giving more rounds before the chamber gets hot enough to cause early detonation of rounds before they are fully in battery. Or some such.

I expect that someone will come along with more accurate info and explain it better or correct my statement but you get the general idea I hope.

Is it biodegradable?

I'm sure the environmental agenda will have a field day with this.

At least brass will fade away, albeit all of us will be long gone before it ever does.

I get the lighter weight for
Troops argument…but! If plastic ammo casings are seriously being advanced for combat and training purposes where high volume high rate of fire shooting is anticipated, I wonder how weapon overheating might be a problem - brass casings are one heck of a heat sink. Plastic is not. This proved to be a big problem back when they were playing around with "caseless" ammunition like the HK g11 (I think) experimental weapon.

I have used the blue plastic cased .50 BMG training ammo for use in the M2 machine gun and it was always problematic. It is a different operating system than the M240 & M249.