True up a Rem 700 or buy a custom action?

Truing up a 700 action is nothing more than squaring everything up and lapping the lugs. Not that expensive.

Below is extracted from one of the resident gunsmith's website ...

Blueprinting R700.JPG

Yuppers,,, once it's trued up your good to go,,, and you reap the rewards of cash in your pocket...

Lots of 700 actions have and are competing at the highest levels of the shooting sports...

Don't get me right or wrong,,, there are some pretty good action / bolt packages on the market today,,, for a bit of chump change a tuned 700 action will always out perform the shooters...

That allows us to spend more time concentrating on other things like getting your rifle planted and chasing the ever changing winds... Ha

Good luck finding what works for you and your budget... That's what really counts...

Hmmm... I have four Remington rifles with one having an action that has been blue printed and trued on my 6.5 CM. My stock 5R 308 with Timmney trigger will shoot with the 6.5 (1/4" groups at 400 yards), my stock 300 WM will shoot with it. My 223 will once I get the right load developed.

Wow, some great gear there Bud, a stock 308 and three other Rems that shoot .25" groups at 400. Scaled back to 100 that's 0.0625".

The World Benchrest Championships 100yds HV this year was won with an agg of .1832, man you must clean up at these events!

[EDIT - make that last year!]

There's a lot to like about the origin for sure, the main hangup I have is I'm not sure a 6.5 PRC would work well in it without limiting COAL? They also only accept AICS mags and not AW, but other than that it looks like a great action at that price point. I also like the looks of the APR gen 2 action, but the Gunwerks GRB and Defiance Tenacity still seem to be better actions for the money. Too many choices isn't necessarily a bad thing, but sure can make it hard to decide!

There's a lot to like about the origin for sure, the main hangup I have is I'm not sure a 6.5 PRC would work well in it without limiting COAL? They also only accept AICS mags and not AW, but other than that it looks like a great action at that price point. I also like the looks of the APR gen 2 action, but the Gunwerks GRB and Defiance Tenacity still seem to be better actions for the money. Too many choices isn't necessarily a bad thing, but sure can make it hard to decide!

Agreed! Having plenty of choices is great. Budget, personal preference, intended purpose, will affect end-users' decision-making. End-users need to synthesize the information being presented to make a sound decision and live with the consequences associated with it.

Wow, some great gear there Bud, a stock 308 and three other Rems that shoot .25" groups at 400. Scaled back to 100 that's 0.0625".

The World Benchrest Championships 100yds HV this year was won with an agg of .1832, man you must clean up at these events!

[EDIT - make that last year!]

Wow! I have never competed, I just have been reloading and shooting at local range that goes out to 400 yards for the past couple of years. Have been told by a couple of friends that I need to shoot in some competition matches and may try to this year. I really want to shoot at 1000 yards and am making plans to do so. I guess l'm lucky enough to have four Remington that shoot great and was simply trying to let the fellow know that there is nothing wrong with Remington actions. If you would like to come see me shoot let me know, I know some people might exaggerate but I will be happy to prove it to you. Montgomery County Shooting Complex Southside TN, Saturday's and Sunday's work best for me.

After probably too much stress and anxiety over all the choices of this vs that, I think I've finally decided on my course of action ... thank you all for the input and advice you provided.

Ultimately I decided I want to build on a short action, so my Rem 700 LA will be put up for sale. I haven't 100% decided on which action i will go with yet, but the Defiance Tenacity is likely at the top of the pile, with the WTO Claymore and Big Horn Origin also in the mix.

I plan to use the WTO switchlug system to get me a few different rifles until I can build them out individually down the road. I'm going to start with a simple 6.5 Creedmoor, then add a 7mm SS, and then maybe a .223 to allow for cheaper trigger time / varminting. I will use a Proof CF barrel for both the 6.5 and the 7mm as those will both be hunting setups.

I'm starting off with the 6.5 because my first hunt is likely going to be Pronghorn and I'll go from there, adding in the 7mm SS when I get up to Elk. The 6.5 should serve me well for a couple years at least. I'm thinking about putting a Mark 5 3.6-18 on top of it, but I also really like my 3-15x gen 2 PST so I need to get to a store and compare them side by side.

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it!

Wow! I have never competed, I just have been reloading and shooting at local range that goes out to 400 yards for the past couple of years. Have been told by a couple of friends that I need to shoot in some competition matches and may try to this year. I really want to shoot at 1000 yards and am making plans to do so. I guess l'm lucky enough to have four Remington that shoot great and was simply trying to let the fellow know that there is nothing wrong with Remington actions. If you would like to come see me shoot let me know, I know some people might exaggerate but I will be happy to prove it to you. Montgomery County Shooting Complex Southside TN, Saturday's and Sunday's work best for me.
I immediately throw up the BS flag in my head when I see statements like this. I really appreciate you wanting to show people. It doesn't help anyone here to show one target from a range session that was an incredible group, yet leave out the crap groups that got you there. Not knock you, because you are saying "Come over and I'll show you".

I immediately throw up the BS flag in my head when I see statements like this. I really appreciate you wanting to show people. It doesn't help anyone here to show one target from a range session that was an incredible group, yet leave out the crap groups that got you there. Not knock you, because you are saying "Come over and I'll show you".

BS FLAG HUGE.gif

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

Last edited:
Heard a lot of gunsmiths throw out hard to believe numbers and one great group pic. To drum up business? Make them feel good? I don't know. i would rather be honest and show all my groups so guys know what to expect. 1/2" moa guns at 500+ are not easy to come by and it seems that everyone has one. Sure love to see them in action and figure out what I've been missing all these years :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.