True up a Rem 700 or buy a custom action?

Truing up a 700 action is nothing more than squaring everything up and lapping the lugs. Not that expensive.
You are absolutely correct and I alluded to as much in my post but with a basic true up you don't get all the bells and whistles of a good custom action. To get all those extras you're going to put about as much cash into the donor action as you would a custom action.

If wanting a Rem with all the bells and whistles, I'd go custom. If I didn't do my own work, I'd definitely buy a custom. Good luck

I asked this same question of Kirby Allen several years ago. He said by the time he finished all the work required to 'blueprint' a stock Rem 700 action, I would be within a couple hundred dollars of a custom action. Both would then do a great job. However, when it came time to sell the rifle, the Rem 700 action would not bring near the resale value that the custom action would. Reason being that there would be little in the way of documentation that the work was actually done (other than original receipt), or that it was done correctly (competent gun smith known to future buyer). In the end, I went for a custom action.

Story has a funny (not really) ending. I went with a Lawton action as part of a group buy on another site. Unfortunately, it was during the time when the company was changing hands. When Kirby got it, he ended up doing quite a bit of work on it anyway just to bring it up to standard. So you just never know......

I do my own work. It takes me less than 15 minutes to true the action, about the same for the recoil lug, and anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes to lap the bolt and reciever. We end up with some pretty accurate rifles. 700 all the way! I'm working ao some switch barrel/switch lug actions now. Actions trued, need to order parts to finish.

Vote 37 for a trued up Remmy action that is frugal to true and get your Gunsmith to collar the factory bolts or get a PTG custom bolt to fit...

Make sure it's a snug fit which is a benefit of keeping it lined up,,, option 3 or 7 is order a PTG """Action and Bolts""" fitted for it """ if""" your going multi barrel change over...

Talk to Kipp directly to get it sorted and use the extra cash saved to spend time shooting at the range and put on the miles hunting across the Americas or over seas...

Cheers from the North

If you don't plan to keep the gun forever or you like to sell and rebuild often - I would go with a custom action.

resale on a custom action will hold value FAR greater than a trued Remington 700.

defiance has a nice option along with Gunwerks for a reasonably priced action with nice features!

I have pondered this question dozens of times. Looked at the price sheets of several gunsmiths to true a 700 action. The bottom line, if you are going to pay a smith to bring a 700 action to the same level as a custom action, the price will be the same as buying a custom. Either using a new 1 piece bolt or working the Rem bolt, I usually come in between $800-1000. At that point you are stuck with Remington threads. IMHO it would be better to buy a Bighorn TL3/SR3/Origin and use barrels with a Savage thread pattern. Or get a Defiance Ruckus. Proof makes prefits for those actions that are spot on.
I'm not saying a 700 isn't a good action. I have several that are great shooters. Looking at cost and options down the road, I believe a custom action is a better choice.

If it were me and I have done both, I would just spend the money on a custom action you can get the new big horn action for the same price or less then buying a 700 and truing it unless you can true it your self. I do it at my shop in my barreling lathe but tooling is expensive to do this and if your only doing a couple I would just buy a custom.

Hmmm... I have four Remington rifles with one having an action that has been blue printed and trued on my 6.5 CM. My stock 5R 308 with Timmney trigger will shoot with the 6.5 (1/4" groups at 400 yards), my stock 300 WM will shoot with it. My 223 will once I get the right load developed. I have flirted with the idea of purchasing a custom action, really looked hard at the "HELL BETTY" but have just about decided against it. We all want cool things and bragging rights to say "she's custom built" but fellows I firmly believe you can take a Remington action and give it a little love and a good trigger and they will shoot all day with the customs, they just don't have the bling. Most custom actions I have read about are built off the Remington 700 foot print. We all have to satisfy those itches to upgrade our guns and make them better, it's sorta like putting custom wheels and big tires on your truck, does it really help the average Joe or does it just look cool.

If money isn't a concern by a custom that's a no brainer.

As with most of us money is a factor then it's a harder choice. If you can get a rem 700 action, trued and all for under $600 then it's worth it to me to save the $250 to put towards other components like trigger or stock. If it's going to cost you more than $700 or more to get the action and work done then it's not hardly worth it when you can buy a bighorn for $850.

As for the resale argument the rem 700 sell for less because they cost less. Simple they don't devalue anymore than any other used action would.

Ok, I'm the dummy. What is a remage barrel people keep referring to?
A remage barrel uses a nut that they call a remage nut it turns your Remington into a savage system. You would have to take your current barrel to a Gunsmithing to have them cut your shoulder down and re-thread the barrel matching the old threads or cutting off the old threads if you have enough room and re-doing the threads kind of like they are on a savage, so you can use a barrel nut.

Last edited:
I have done both. You won't find a difference in accuracy. For me, I like a side bolt release. I like a fluted bolt. I like 8-40 scope mount holes. I like a nice replacement bolt knob. I also had mine slabbed for weight reduction and the handle skeletonized. if you want and like the extras, get a custom! If you just want a trued action that will be accurate, go with the Remington.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.