Truck Snow Chains

Muddyboots

I was talking to @WYO300RUM short while ago and this came up so thought it was worth a share:

Couple years ago, I was practicing putting on chains in driveway in 80 degree weather and my wife was laughing at how funny I looked. While I was doing it, I was thinking "what if at night or in really bad weather?" so I added a red zip tie to the connecting links that were perfect for the chain to be tight on tire. Little did I realize how much this little life hack came to play the following month in 2nd rifle in CO in 2019! It started to snow on Sat the first day and snowed through the night, which was enough we had to get up every few hours to brush off snow on tent (from inside LOL!). Sunday morn after short hunt, couple of guys from MT stopped by and they were all loaded up. We thought they tagged out but nope, they asked if we heard forecast? Oh Oh. Fired up radio and HOLY COW! 3-5' predicted over 72 hours where we were camped! So about 1:00PM, we called the trip and started to bug out process. It was still snowing hard at about 1-2" hour easily so we had almost 18" by now. I cleared out rear of truck and got chains out. Dropped over tires, the beautiful red zip tie just begging to be linked up was a dream! I had both chains on in virtually 5 minutes! The drive out was a bear and the ride up to I-90 was not much better. The speed limit was 35 on I-90 and being closed behind me as I traveled. Finally found a place to hole up and slept in truck with sleeping bag over me.

So a little red zip tie on the right tire chain link can be huge time saver when trying to set chains in bad weather.

I was talking to @WYO300RUM short while ago and this came up so thought it was worth a share:

Couple years ago, I was practicing putting on chains in driveway in 80 degree weather and my wife was laughing at how funny I looked. While I was doing it, I was thinking "what if at night or in really bad weather?" so I added a red zip tie to the connecting links that were perfect for the chain to be tight on tire. Little did I realize how much this little life hack came to play the following month in 2nd rifle in CO in 2019! It started to snow on Sat the first day and snowed through the night, which was enough we had to get up every few hours to brush off snow on tent (from inside LOL!). Sunday morn after short hunt, couple of guys from MT stopped by and they were all loaded up. We thought they tagged out but nope, they asked if we heard forecast? Oh Oh. Fired up radio and HOLY COW! 3-5' predicted over 72 hours where we were camped! So about 1:00PM, we called the trip and started to bug out process. It was still snowing hard at about 1-2" hour easily so we had almost 18" by now. I cleared out rear of truck and got chains out. Dropped over tires, the beautiful red zip tie just begging to be linked up was a dream! I had both chains on in virtually 5 minutes! The drive out was a bear and the ride up to I-90 was not much better. The speed limit was 35 on I-90 and being closed behind me as I traveled. Finally found a place to hole up and slept in truck with sleeping bag over me.

So a little red zip tie on the right tire chain link can be huge time saver when trying to set chains in bad weather.
Craig
When we get 3-4-6" of snow down here we need chains and spiked tires. No road plowing here so everyone drives on the snow and then packs to ice.
good tip!

Yes a zip tie can be a real blessing in the dark chaining up. Put it on the locking link and it's nice and easy to see in the dark so you don't pull too far forward and have to wrestle chains. All winter long almost every day I chain up with studded double chains on tractor trailers in the gas fields of Pa. Little tricks can get a rear axle chained up in just a couple minutes. Also keep them where they will thaw out not freeze into a pile of chain!!

That's a pretty good tip, I can't count how many times a season I'll chain up but I have mine bailing wired so it's the last link. The chains they make these days suck, a set won't make it through the day where we go, I always keep an eye out for the good old v bars made with good steel!! I honestly like chaining up, I don't like not getting where I want to go or chaining up AFTER I'm stuck so we have spots that we just chain up all 4 so we can just roll up into where we want to go, I'll put a truck anywhere chained up, regardless of how much screaming is coming from the passenger seats!!

That's a pretty good tip, I can't count how many times a season I'll chain up but I have mine bailing wired so it's the last link. The chains they make these days suck, a set won't make it through the day where we go, I always keep an eye out for the good old v bars made with good steel!! I honestly like chaining up, I don't like not getting where I want to go or chaining up AFTER I'm stuck so we have spots that we just chain up all 4 so we can just roll up into where we want to go, I'll put a truck anywhere chained up, regardless of how much screaming is coming from the passenger seats!!

I get the v-bars off the local school buses and then cut them down to fit. I think I've only worn out one set plowing. They tear the roads up a little bit but I haven't been stuck yet!

Yep, 2nd rifle 2019 was a white out for lot of us. We all like a "little" snow for 2nd rifle but this was ridiculous!
That was my first time to Colorado- will just say it didn't go as planned 😂😂😂. Had a great time with my dad though, and it might be the only elk trip we make together. So memories made and time well spent- even if we DID end up staying in a hotel vs a tent in a wilderness area!

I,ve been in the exact same position....
WITHOUT CHAINS.....now I own 4 sets...and a set on each sno blower...
I fish walleyes in bad weather.... steep boat landings get iced...
Life Savers.....!!!!