Trouble with Nikon M223

js9088

I have a Nikon M223 3-12 on an AR. Decent glass, accurate adjustments and BDC. My problem is the BDC moves too easily. Using it for coyote hunting and use a sling. By the time i get to my set the windage will be moved, sometimes elevation too. The seem to move too easily and do not have a zero stop. Got a good buy, but i think i will sell if I cannot figure out something else. Is there anyway to tighten up the turrets? What about aftermarket turrets? What about rigging up some turret caps. An ideas would be appreciated.

I'm not familiar with the M223.

I do have a couple of Nikons, clearest glass I own!

Have you called customer service? Mine do have a deal where I can pull the knobs, and reset the zero mark to the mark on the body. I thought the knobs screw was a tension screw at first. Is there a tension screw on your knobs?

I have a Nikon M223 3-12 on an AR. Decent glass, accurate adjustments and BDC. My problem is the BDC moves too easily. Using it for coyote hunting and use a sling. By the time i get to my set the windage will be moved, sometimes elevation too. The seem to move too easily and do not have a zero stop. Got a good buy, but i think i will sell if I cannot figure out something else. Is there anyway to tighten up the turrets? What about aftermarket turrets? What about rigging up some turret caps. An ideas would be appreciated.

Does the scope have provisions for scope turret caps?

If so this is an easy fix for a carry rifle.

J E CUSTOM

No, there is no option to put a cap on it. I am going to use a neoprene cover for now. I think that will help, but is a minor inconvenience. All in all, I think I bought that scope as a solution to a problem I really don't have. Most of my shots are 200 and less and I have always been fine with a MPBR sight in. Should have just bought a plain Monarch/Lupy, etc.

Did reach Nikon customer service this afternoon. They apologized but said there are not really any options from their end.

In other words, Nikon is not backing up their product? Not even,"send it to us, and we'll look at it"?

Did they even bother making the excuse that you are using it incorrectly?

Did your scope come with a user's manual, does it have something in there talking about knob detent tension adjustment, or some such?

Throw on a couple of O-rings, around the base of the knobs, thin and tight enough to make drag on the turrets. It may help keep out dust, etc. as well. A quick stop at an automotive parts store, should get you an o-ring the right size.

There does not appear to be a way to get the turret off. No set screws or anything. I will take some close up pictures tonight. Looks like there is a cover on the top that is glued on and would have to be pulled off....then I don't know what you would by able to cover them back up with.

I was thinking without taking it apart, throw some orings around where the turret meets the body of the scope. O-ring just the right thickness, and diammeter to get the drag you need to keep them from turning on you.

I realize this is an older thread, but I feel compelled to add some info.

I recently just come across this thread, while reaearching the Nikon M223 scope.

Not sure if the original poster realizes that Nikons turrets on this line of scope
actually unlock and free spin to reset zero position. If you grasp the elevation or
windage turret, and pull outward(away from main tube) , the turret will release from
its linkage and free-wheel. Push it back inward, and it audibly snaps back into
connection.

I do not know if original poster was aware of this function, so I thought it
pertinent info. I have a couple Nikon M223 series scopes, and they function
fine. Hope this helps..

I am aware of that function and it doesn't help when using the scope in the field. I like the scope but the turret arrangement doesn't work for hunting. You either need turret caps or the turrets need to be stiffer (I don't have this problem with Leupold or Nightforce). I sent mine down the road and it is a shame b/c I liked everything else about the scope and it worked great off the bench.

Understood, that is a shame like you mentioned, it is a decent scope.

I have had no problem with my turrets moving inadvertantly, as the clicks are quite
positive in their engagement. On my scope, there is no way a rub against a
jacket, pack or whatever would move the turrets from their position.

It is unfortunate that Nikon didn't at least provide some avenue of recourse.

I have the same scope on my Sig 516. And I suffer the same irritation.

I am likely going to pull it off in the next month or so and sell/trade it on something more suited to staying set.

On the positive, the glass is ok and the optic works well.

Overall I see this as a detractor like the OP.

This comment is way after all the rest. But with that said I have a new (lest than 6 month old) m 223 Nikon I love everything else about the scope but this one thing makes the whole thing suck. It moves to easy. I've put cat Orings on it to keep the turrets from engaging and that helps but still the confidence isn't there when I shoot it. I have a friend in Idaho who is a machinist. He popped the caps of and drilled the turrets and installed set screws, his works great. I can't get my caps of to remove the turrets to drill and tap the holes. Also Nikon said the warranty would be void if I did. Wow what do I do can't Nikon just have some caps made to cover the the turrets so they don't move. I've called them twice with no positive reply. If they don't offer a fix I am done with them. Sorry such an obvious mistake makes a otherwise good scope substandard.
Please Nikon make it right, it needs a fix BAD!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.