Trouble with grouping Help!!

Goobie

Ok I have a tikka .223 varmint shoot a 69 grain nosler competition, 23 grains of varget. its very accurate but at five hundred yards ----

Using rem 7 1/2 bench rest primers, it will shoot horizontal group 1 inch wide, but 5 inches vertical.

using federal 205 primers I get horizontal groups 5 inches wide but 1 1/2 inches vertical.

So what are everyone's thoughts, different primer?

And all my hand loads are very close to same velocity,

Ok I have a tikka .223 varmint shoot a 69 grain nosler competition, 23 grains of varget. its very accurate but at five hundred yards ----

Using rem 7 1/2 bench rest primers, it will shoot horizontal group 1 inch wide, but 5 inches vertical.

using federal 205 primers I get horizontal groups 5 inches wide but 1 1/2 inches vertical.

So what are everyone's thoughts, different primer?

And all my hand loads are very close to same velocity,

Usually horizontal groups mean your bullet is seated too long and vertical group means seated too short triangle group needs more or less speed to tighten group

All the components have to work together is the standard thinking. I like the lack of vertical with the 205. I would use that primer and tweak + or - the charge and I would do seating depth change. I would test seating first, then powder.

You might just do a ladder test with both primers and see which produces the best results.

Ok thanks everyone, my gun has a 1 in 8 twist so it's good for 69 grainers, the barrel is very heavy, does anyone know of a primer list that shows the mildest to the hottest? Thanks

morning, go to the internet to find the hottest to the slowest primers burn rate.
I have read that federal match primers in all 3 small large or magnum have a more consistant ignition flash. federal is printed to be the the hottest.
i use federal if u can find them.
i am looking to purchase lot of 215M federal primers. anyone know where to get these primers?
the gentleman who answer the questions is righton!!lightbulb
T U M
just country

Last edited:
Your shooting 1 moa at 500 yards with a 223 and a bullet with a crappy bc in a factory rifle. I don't see the problem.

He has vertical strings vs horizontal strings with different primers. He wants to figure out best configuration of a load for his rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.