Trouble with Eberlestock pack

gcamp54

Getting ready for my trip to Wyoming. Tried my new J107 Eberlestock. Packed with only part of my gear on, including the super duffle, the tightening straps will not reach each other in order to attach and secure the load. I don't even have the duffle full or even close to full. It seems I need some extensions already and I'm not even carrying meat. Anyone have a quick solution to this problem? So far I'm not all that impressed with this pack. Why would you design an attachable duffle that can't be used to its fullest capacity.

Gordon

I have a similar one with the same problem. They are probably both made in China for a Chinaman to wear. I am going to cut one off a sleeping bag and have it sown on.

You must have a big chest like me. :D :rolleyes:

joseph

I used my J107 just last weekend. Before the trip I wannted to see how the super spike duffle worked so I loaded er up and had enough room with the compression straps, but just barley. I would contact Eberlestock, I think that theye will set things right asap. Dont give up on the pack just yet, I really love mine, it just takes some figuring.

Oh man, I got the J107M (wich is just the military version of that pack. it has a larger scabbard). I'd better to load it up and figure out if mine is the same before my hunting trip.

I haven't had a chance to talk to Eberlestock yet but what I did was order some straps and buckles of the same size to make extension between the stock straps. This should work. I'm leaving in 2 days after work so I don't have much time to deal with this and I think my fix should work. I'll let you know when I get back from Wyoming.

Gordon

I didnt realize that the J107M had a larger scabbard. dang it. I was going to mention that I wish the scabard on mine was larger (barely fits a sporter rifle with a bipod and a Mark 4).

gcamp54 - Let us know how your hunt turns out, and how the compression strap extensions work.

gcamp,
yeah, it has a scabbard that is made to fit a military sniper rifle (it may have been developed for the Barrett M107 50 cal) equipped with a bipod and a large scope with tall turrets. It also only comes in military type colors and patterns (which i personally like better than realtree)

im sure you could sell your pack pretty easily to get the one that fits your rifle better. it would suck to be hiking in to your spot and not be able to get your rifle out when you need it, and also to not be able to use the scabbard that you just bought because you fear that you won't be able to get the gun out. (that last sentence was kind of retarded but i think you get my point)

I haven't had a chance to talk to Eberlestock yet but what I did was order some straps and buckles of the same size to make extension between the stock straps. This should work. I'm leaving in 2 days after work so I don't have much time to deal with this and I think my fix should work. I'll let you know when I get back from Wyoming.

Gordon

Made it back from Wyoming and wanted to report on my mods. The straps worked but I found out that if you need to make this mod you're carrying too much stuff. A full duffle sticks out too far when full and causes the pack to lean back too much. I started out with about 80lbs and in my opinion I was way too heavy for that climb in the Greys River area. I made it 5 miles in to the base camp but it was painful. I don't think this pack carries as well as a quality internal backpack frame but it does have features for hunting that makes it a keeper for me. It's well constructed and designed for it's purpose. I especially liked the rifle scabbard design. It carried my 12 pound rifle well and added sufficient protection for it also. Overall I'm happy with it but I don't think I'll plan to start with a duffle attached. I can see where the duffle might be useful for putting gear in it when your meat is in the main compartment. After the first climb with 80lbs I changed my strategy and only carried my spike camp in the main compartment for 2 day trips up the mountain and back. That worked great. I didn't take pictures but if someone needs pictures of how I attached the straps, just let me know and I'll set it up with the straps and take some pictures. The only other thing I'd modify after this trip is to move closer to Wyoming. The 4000 mile round trip drive is long.

Gordon

Great topic. I am getting ready to order a pack and I want the full covered full size gun scabred (spelling?) I am looking at the new G4 operator. I usually take the spotting scope and all the normal gear along with my 338AX 26" barrel or maybe my TAC50 but not likely. I really want the rifle fully covered. It doesn't look like there is a smaller pack with the full cover.

Thanks in advance for the info.

At this point I think I will opt for getting a larger capacity Gregory Denali 105 and attach an Eberlestock A2LS scabbard to it. I have used a Gregory Palsisade for years and the suspension system is so much better. I still think the Eberlestock pack is a good pack and functional for hunting but there are better packs for carrying a heavy load.

Gordon

At this point I think I will opt for getting a larger capacity Gregory Denali 105 and attach an Eberlestock A2LS scabbard to it. I have used a Gregory Palsisade for years and the suspension system is so much better. I still think the Eberlestock pack is a good pack and functional for hunting but there are better packs for carrying a heavy load.

Gordon

The eberlestock is one step above a burlap sack with bailing twine... by far the most uncomfortable packs I've ever worn. My kifarus on the other hand, seriously more comfortable than wearing nothing at all. They're amazing and certainly worth the wait and price if you can swing it.

I would agree. There are better suspension systems out there. Eberlestock adds to many bells and whistles that are unnecessary and end up adding a lot of weight. I opted for the the Lowe Alpine Expedition 75-95L. It has the TFX 10 suspension which is comfy for heavy load hauling and the pack ways under 5lbs. I also own and use several Gregory Packs and they are superb.

Eberlestock sells extension straps entended to solve the original issue of the compression straps not being long enough for a large load. Check out the accessories section of their website.

As far as carrying weight and how the pack rides. I didn't like it at first and felt that the center of gravity was too far back, which further pulled the pack away. Their website has a section of how to take out and fit the aluminum stays to your body. This helped a ton to bring the weight closer to my body and onto my pelvis rather than pulling back on my shoulders. Love the fuctionality and toughness of my J105. It's taken plenty of abuse in the 5-6 years that I've had it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts