Trouble with cases

sierra22

Do you have any experience with this problem?:

My 6,5x55 Norma cases are on their 3-4th reload, neck sizing only. Quite a few of the cases are now too "fat around the belly" (or at least seems to be) to slip smoothly into the RCBS shellholder on the press. I use the correct holder according to their table, but must now use force to get the case in.

The Lee shellholder on the Lee hand primer tool has no problems accepting the cases. The primers requires less force now than the first time, but still I must still apply "a firm handshake" to the tool. Primer pockets are cleaned between loads.

The rifle has no problem gripping and extracting the cases. No heavy bolt lift or anything like that.

The loads are well below published maximum loads, the cronographed speeds are where they should be.

The bolt face on my Rem700 has been opened up by a gunsmith due to feeding problems with the 6,5x55 case. It wouldn't grip the case, but it now works without a flaw.

Any clues to wether this is normal, due to high pressure, the opening of the bolt head allowing more expansion, or if it's simply the shellholder that's not up to scratch?

I would guess it's your shellholder and the case isn't expanding any more than it normally would, even with hot loads I don't think you'd find this problem. I'd try another shellholder.

Is it the groove that is larger than the opening in the shellholder or is the shell holder too thick in the area that slips into the groove? The later could be the problem, it is with my Dillon 550 416wby shellplate, the 338 Lapua won't slip into it because the groove isn't quite tall enough on the Lapua.

I had the same problem with an RCBS shell holder in .223 a few months ago. Swapped it for a Lee shell holder and the problem went away.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts