Trouble Matching bullet drop

curiousaussie

G'day,

Have been having trouble for weeks and weeks matching my 600m (660yards), 900m (1000yards), and 1000m (1100yards) bullet drops with the ballistics programs.

The load is 60.5gn 2213SC pushing a 180gn Berger at 2820fps.

When dialled in at 600m my shots at 1000m would be 4-5 clicks flatter than what any program said. Vice versa when dialled in at 1000m it would be out by 4-5 clicks at 600m.

Was tearing my hair out trying to manipulate velocity an/or BC to get it to fit. No luck.

This weekend just gone shot a five shot group at 1000m measuring 10.5 inches wide by 4.5 inches height. Was wrapped with the rifle but still didn't match up at 600m.

Then I tried something different. I changed the clicks on the program from 0.1 mRad (scope a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 MLR metric) to 0.104mRad and suddenly 600m, 900m, and 1000m results matched the bullet's path.

Has anyone had any experience with some scopes being not quite true to their click values?

Or has anyone used the method of changing the click value in Exbal, JBM, or BulletFlight to make the trajectory fit the scope?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

G'day,

Have been having trouble for weeks and weeks matching my 600m (660yards), 900m (1000yards), and 1000m (1100yards) bullet drops with the ballistics programs.

The load is 60.5gn 2213SC pushing a 180gn Berger at 2820fps.

When dialled in at 600m my shots at 1000m would be 4-5 clicks flatter than what any program said. Vice versa when dialled in at 1000m it would be out by 4-5 clicks at 600m.

Was tearing my hair out trying to manipulate velocity an/or BC to get it to fit. No luck.

This weekend just gone shot a five shot group at 1000m measuring 10.5 inches wide by 4.5 inches height. Was wrapped with the rifle but still didn't match up at 600m.

Then I tried something different. I changed the clicks on the program from 0.1 mRad (scope a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 MLR metric) to 0.104mRad and suddenly 600m, 900m, and 1000m results matched the bullet's path.

Has anyone had any experience with some scopes being not quite true to their click values?

Or has anyone used the method of changing the click value in Exbal, JBM, or BulletFlight to make the trajectory fit the scope?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt.
The G7 Ballistic coefiecent of the Berger is a closer match than the G1 so try using the G7 and
the drops will be closer to the real thing.

Also scopes do have a little error from MOA to inches and if they are near the limit of their
turret travel there is more error because of thread clearance.

J E CUSTOM

If you make a grid graduated in MOA and look at it through a solid mounted scope at 105 yds, then click up through one or two turret revolutions you will likely get a big surprise. .25 MOA clicks are often not. I've seen them from .25 to .3 and everything in between. Not at all important if you know this but does confuse someone who hasn't observed it before. Also makes a significant difference at long range which you quickly realize once you've done the math.

JE,

Tried all various combinations of G1, G7, and Litz BC's to no avail.

Scope has 20 MOA base so should be in the middle of its travel.

rb,

I think my scope is one of those i.e. it moves 1.04 cm per click rather than 1.00 cm, because once I changed the ballistics programs to 0.104mRad values then 600m, 900m, and 1000m come up all fit the actual bullet trajectory.

Thanks,

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.