Tripods?

I use the Spartan precision set up. They have an adapter that replaces the front sling stud. This fits on their ball head I have on my tripod. Optics adapter on my spotter and binos and everything is interchangeable. Eliminates the need to carry any thing extra as long as you carry a tripod for glassing anyway.

Attachments

• 1642962090542391965839326001589.jpg
    1642962090542391965839326001589.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
I don't use a tripod (yet) but I use carbon fiber hiking poles that convert to an adjustable bipod with the clever Weisner "Quick stiX" discs of machined Delrin that clamp to the poles just below the handles. Just mate them then twist and VOILE'! a steady bipod.

But Weisner Precision makes a tripod adaptor and sells a carbon fiber 3rd leg for a tripod. I may get that setup. There is no lighter way to have a bipod or tripod IF you already use hiking poles.

I don't use a tripod (yet) bur I use carbon fiber hiking poles that convert to an adjustable bipod with the clever Weisner "Quick stiX" discs of machined Delrin that clamp to the poles just below the handles. Just mate them then twist and VoiLE' a steady bipod.

But Weisner Precision makes a tripod adaptor and sells a carbon fiber 3rd leg for a tripod. I may get that setup. There is no lighter way to have a bipod or tripod IF you already use hiking poles.
Actually there is. Just loop the handles and you don't need that gimmick. Lighter and less expensive.

You see my last picture,pretty stable for 1#,but its not at all like the larger offerings.I shot elk out to 800 plus leaned against a tree.Lot depends on your shooting background,what youll be comfortable with.I do all practice and 90 percent hunt with Atlas. I guy on here makes a super light arca or combo rail,put it where you want.Im on the small front pic rail and you need a rear support of some type,all depends on shot.

The best is an RRS tripod with a leveling base or the Anvil 30. Arca is probably the best attachment.
of the same style were"both" OEM'd with their own private labeling from China, and identical in design and materials.
There are knockoffs from China like Two Vets, Leofoto, Feisol, etc.
Last I looked(two years ago) , the RRS and Two Vets No Name tripod are both made in China, and near identical except for labeling/branding, and price.

I will second the option of using trekking poles as a shooting aid. It's lightweight and everyone should have them on your pack if walking around. I thought .. ..trekking poles? After listening to randy newberg video....i bought a set for my wife and I to use on our recent elk hunt. Omg.. .what a gamechanger for hiking. With I had them years ago. We practiced with them for a shooting rest also b4 we went to Colorado. Our guide was carrying bog shooting tripod and trekking poles. On day one i set up the rifle on the shooting/ trekking poles. He said.. what a great idea. He didn't carry the heavy shoot tripod again.
20220123_155352.jpg

I have an rrs anvil 30 ball head hooked to my carbon manfrotto tripod. I shoot a chassis and have also hooked arca plates to stocks. This is so far superior to the mog pod in weight and ability to maneuver it's not even funny. I've worked with both. I also hooked an arca plate to my spotting scope so I only carry one tripod while hunting. It's amazing! Long story short, I bought if for my kids and now I find myself using it all the time on my hunts. If you have tall brush or grass where prone shots are impossible then a tripod makes all the difference. With this set up I can pretty easily hold a minute out to 700 yards

Last edited:
Not a large buck, but with19 days left in the season I wasn't going to let him pass. Crappy part is20 minutes after I shot him a really good one came to 160 yards and started eating corn. That's the way my luck goes. It does get cold in Alabama. Was 31 degrees with12 mph wind.

Attachments

• IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220121_154333.jpg
    20220121_154333.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220121_153516.jpg
    20220121_153516.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 58
I use these two Tripod's. The Bog Death Grip , Carbon Fiber is very stable and strong, but a little difficult to move around inside the blind. I travel with this one . The Caldwell Dead Shot Tripod gets put into the blind when I set up the blind two days before Opening day, in West Virg. . I have used this one for 12 years . Light but stable and easy to move in the blind if I need too. I'm happy with both of them.

Attachments

• IMG_1570ULTRALIGHT  IN SNOW CAMMO ION THE DEATH GRIP TRI POD.JPG
    IMG_1570ULTRALIGHT IN SNOW CAMMO ION THE DEATH GRIP TRI POD.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • 104.JPG
    104.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
  • 20131127_102213 (2).jpg
    20131127_102213 (2).jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 49
Can you post some pics? Will those heads fit on the tripods I have sitting in the garage?
The Anvil 30 can just thread onto most existing legs. However, you won't get the full benefit using the Anvil 30 that way. By having the inverted ball head integrated (supported) by the legs, you will have increased stability compared to just screwing it on. Here's a a closeup picture of the Anvil 30 attached to the RRS legs
IMG_7523.JPG

How many of you guys use tripods for your long range hunting and shooting? When I finally get to start shooting, I know it won't be from the prone position because I won't get to hunt that way. I have a table, heavy sled and assorted bags already. I went to the sporting goods store and held a box with the Bog Death grip tripod in it. That thing was heavy. It might work for shooting but would be way tough to hunt with. I have a couple of quality tripods already. Is there an attachment I can add to those to hold my rifle? I'm brand spanking new to the thought of shooting or hunting with a tripod and wanted to hear your thoughts on the subject. Thanks again for the input.
I ran into the same problem with a tripod. At 74 the extra weight really adds up on a 700LR. I have always liked a sling for shooting support but it always took too long to set up when presented with a shot. I switched to a Ching Sling and that works great. Under a second to sling up for a prone or supported shot. The sling pulls the weapon tight for a consistent shooting position. I have shot metal both prone, kneeling, sitting, and supported at 550yds with good results. the dam deer keep showing up a shorter ranges, 10 feet to 270yds.

There is a lot that can go into a tripod, but I think it would help if you decide a couple of things: cost, weight.

There is no doubt that ARCA rails and clamps are the best for locking the rifle in. So that is done. The issue you have is mounting the rail to a rifle. That's not difficult, but you have to make the decision to add a rail. Some people freak out over drilling holes etc.

Leveling head vs ball head. I have both. I am currently using the leveling head with RRS QD clamp. Ball heads are sweet but there is a little more movement due to the height and design. Generally I need rear support for use with a ball head and shots over 500. The leveling head is pretty solid to 1000 without a rear support. The ball head offers a bit more versatility. I added a panning head with qd mount for the days I may be glassing and want that smooth movement for hours of glassing.

I've shot coyotes, deer, and wolves off my tripod. Furthest yote so far is 1125, several from 800-1000. Wolves 38, 515, 750. Deer were all 300-400. This is all off a light weight but yet pretty durable tripod. If you want a 1500.00 setup and amazingly stable, it'll weigh 7-10 lbs easily but I'm not lugging that around the rugged back country.