Tripods?

The lighter easier pack,smaller,less stable.Lightest probably Snipod,like arrows with snap cord.I shot bull sitting at 500+ back against tree. I use bipod most,sometimes tripod for back as in picture.Ive near rig I have more options. Hiking carry my light 1# carbon,run outdoorsman QD on all optic,lazer,spotter,etc.

Attachments

• 338 chute.jpg
    338 chute.jpg
    899.5 KB · Views: 73
This my 1# tripod, pack for spotter or if running 15 x glass in more open areas In deep snow I cross my trekking poles

Attachments

• B68C95BC-D368-4C58-84FC-5FF498EC1DA3.jpeg
    B68C95BC-D368-4C58-84FC-5FF498EC1DA3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
  • 2552992F-C5D4-4182-B40F-CD18C5C1201D.jpeg
    2552992F-C5D4-4182-B40F-CD18C5C1201D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
You noted being new to shooting. Have you started snapping in using the four principle shooting positions? Have you learned how to use a sling as a shooting aid? I also suggest map study. Find out where your target species beds, where they feed, where they water, and when they travel between those locations. Then insert yourself between those locations prior to the game transiting the trail. You select your ambush point, ideally it'll work in the prone position with your rifle over your day pack. Material solutions are fine applied appropriately. They can't be substituted for marksmanship skills. Develop your shooting skills. Enjoy the hunt and the work leading to it. It's about the journey, not merely the destination.

It's more expensive than you think! It was 195 today at Sportsmans Warehouse. That's expensive to me!!🤣🤣🤣
Expensive for me but not the people I hunt with. Left one in the back of the gator In Texas and left another in the back of the guides truck in Utah. Purchased on Amazon for $109 = cost basis of $327 for the one I have left.

This is the Manfrotto 055CXPR03 with the center post removed. Center post's are not stable at all. This is probably the smallest tripod I would recommend for rifle shooting. It works for my 22 lb. DTA SRS very well, but thats pushing it. I have an RRS BH-50 ball head I mounted upside-down so that wherever you set the tripod legs you just pivot on the ball till the rifle is level, lock the ball, and pan with the now "upper base" and you maintain level on the rifle. Good rifle ball heads should already come this way.
The RRS QD ARCA / PIC-RAIL adapter is the way to go, you can use either. RRS also makes ARCA rails and segments for certain rifles mostly for PRS, LE and Spec Op's.
20220123_123133.jpg

Getting a bit older, arthritis, damaged cartilage, and other things setting up squatters rights. Can't evict them, so my shaky old muscles need help.
I go hiking and shooting whenever I can. Usually in the desert and the rocky hills. I carry a Cabala's name tripod with a V-neck. Not expensive, and for now, all I need, a good entry point.
My rifle, oxygen tank and a very light tri-pod keep me hunting. Something I do not want to let go of.
I use 3 legs on flat ground, and two legs on a hill, easily, quick and quiet to adjust. I get great support, and I can still shoot good with it.

You noted being new to shooting. Have you started snapping in using the four principle shooting positions? Have you learned how to use a sling as a shooting aid? I also suggest map study. Find out where your target species beds, where they feed, where they water, and when they travel between those locations. Then insert yourself between those locations prior to the game transiting the trail. You select your ambush point, ideally it'll work in the prone position with your rifle over your day pack. Material solutions are fine applied appropriately. They can't be substituted for marksmanship skills. Develop your shooting skills. Enjoy the hunt and the work leading to it. It's about the journey, not merely the destination.
I'm not new to shooting. I'm new to long range shooting. I've been shooting since I was knee high to a grasshopper and now I'm almost eligible for SS! 🤣🤣🤣

The only thing I am not necessarily a fan of, regarding using an Arca and Anvil 30, is the short(er) rails. I would prefer something back further on the stock and not so far forward.

The only thing I am not necessarily a fan of, regarding using an Arca and Anvil 30, is the short(er) rails. I would prefer something back further on the stock and not so far forward.
You can get rail segments, both ARCA and Picatinny. Choose which ever work best or easiest on your rifle and screw & glue / adapt it to your stock in tge location you like best. The RRS will work with either rail.

I have had hands on the RRS stuff and it is excellent. I have a couple of imported carbon tripods that are 90% of the RRS IMO. Heads are a different story. The Anvil-30 is no question the best setup there. Attachment to rifle I'd say ARCA is best by a bit then the Spartan pin system followed a ways by a clamp. I haven't tried a tripod mounted bag. Shot my Elk this year ~20° angle up just shy of 400yds out standing. I don't think I would have made that shot otherwise and it was certainly easier than trying to get braced on my pack. That was with the 44mm Ballhead to ARCA/Spartan pin adapter to rifle. I have since gotten Spartan's Davros Pro head. It's ~8oz lighter, more compact and a bit more stable than the other stackup. ARCA is again a bit more rigid but the ARCA plate does not work on my Kimber or other nice hunting rifles.

I'll try and post a few photos of those setups in a bit.