Tripods?

I used the BOG with clamp mount for the first time this year on my pronghorn hunt. I liked it when I was getting set up, but when I fired and went to rack another round into the chamber, I found out that the rifle was not terribly stable in the clamp. I ended up pulling the bolt back and having the rifle shift back in the clamp. That caused it to completely lose the pronghorn. I would like a system other than the clamp.

I regularly shoot from tripods in the off season, and I've killed stuff using tripods during season. I have several tripods & heads. Started with the saddle/clamp type setups. Went to arca and won't go back. Im not sure why anyone would use a V rest.

The current gold standard is RRS, and my 2 series, 4 section legs is my go to. Two Vets is another good option for legs, and there's some even cheaper leg options out there. I'd say don't skimp on the head. For shooting, get an Anvil30 head.
Can you post some pics? Will those heads fit on the tripods I have sitting in the garage?

If you want to do it right the first time it will be an expense upfront.
Get the RRS SOAR with the Anvil 30mount.
The mount will accept Arca and Picatinny.

The tripod is extremely Solid and so is the mount. I use it for Hunting and tactical shooting all the time. I mounted ARCA mounts on my rifle, spotting scope and binos. I can send pics of the set up in the field and range
Please send pics or post them here. Thanks.
[email protected]

Any system that isn't metal on metal will have less friction, thus more movement. Even the pig Saddle or Hog Saddle have a lot of movement . ARCA or Picatinny are by far the most stable. Also what many don't do right, is set up the tripod to allow loading the tripod and also absorbing recoil . You want 1 leg forward and one back. I usually only shoot of a tripod since it's the most realistic when setting up long range hunting

The bulk of my hunting is with a bipod or simple 2 leg collapsible shooting sticks, For stands/hides for LRH, I use the same Tripod system for that I use for PRS competition. I use an "No-Name", 2 Vets tripod with an RRS series3 R-Lock. It's 24"x5" and weighs 5#. It's absolutely rock steady, very fast to deploy, and accepts both ARCA and PIC Rail
rifle mounts.
B99B9A9D-1440-4A40-80CB-61B4E2490A49.jpeg

200CF3DA-4DA1-4502-ADFE-9110C7CAFCB0.jpeg

080B5341-0A72-436D-A5E3-DD9F8DF821E4.jpeg

Last edited:
I got a Manfrotto carbon fiber and their ball head before RRS started the SOAR line. I replaced the Manfrotto ball head with an RRS ball head with arca and picatinny rail QD clamp. They work extremely well. I would recommend going RRS SOAR all the way. There are tricks you can use to provide more stability using your sling. I use flush cup QD swivels, disconnect the rear and wrap the sling around the tripod leg. With your off hand grip the wrapped sling and twist it to allow elevation changes while leaning into the rifle. This works amazingly well. You can also attach the rear sling swivel to your belt and pull it tight while leaning into the rifle, this work good too. I have a belt mounted flush cup to do this, but a carabiner works too. If you really want stability, two tripods are being used by spec ops to support both ends of the rifle.
20210606_162059.jpg
20210606_162340.jpg

How many of you guys use tripods for your long range hunting and shooting? When I finally get to start shooting, I know it won't be from the prone position because I won't get to hunt that way. I have a table, heavy sled and assorted bags already. I went to the sporting goods store and held a box with the Bog Death grip tripod in it. That thing was heavy. It might work for shooting but would be way tough to hunt with. I have a couple of quality tripods already. Is there an attachment I can add to those to hold my rifle? I'm brand spanking new to the thought of shooting or hunting with a tripod and wanted to hear your thoughts on the subject. Thanks again for the input.
Bogpod deathegrip. set up in a giant cornfield beside the wheels of a center pivot on a swivel chair. If deer come out in any direction I just pick up the pod with the rifle attached and point it in another direction. Works great. Killed eight point on the 21st at 485 yards. Not a really long shot by some of the standards on the forum but it is for my 70 year old eyes.

I use a Shadowtech O311G with a pig saddle(less expensive version of the hog saddle) mounted on a Sunwayfoto FB-52G ball head. This setup is heavy, but it didn't bust the budget. With that said, its rock solid.

If you want to do it right the first time it will be an expense upfront.
Get the RRS SOAR with the Anvil 30mount.
The mount will accept Arca and Picatinny.

The tripod is extremely Solid and so is the mount. I use it for Hunting and tactical shooting all the time. I mounted ARCA mounts on my rifle, spotting scope and binos. I can send pics of the set up in the field and range
Could you post the pics on here at your convenience? There's probably a bunch of us following. I've been into photography pretty deep for 4+ decades & have a couple of nice CF Manfrotos, but they may not be big enough.

RRS with Anvil30 attached to ARCA rail. Recommend you get their longer versions, better if you are tall and the height comes in handy if you decide to use it on hillside while standing.

Attachments

• 2EE3E9E9-63DC-4CDC-8177-1D411EC7B7A3.jpeg
    2EE3E9E9-63DC-4CDC-8177-1D411EC7B7A3.jpeg
    613.8 KB · Views: 78

Recent Posts