Tripods for spotting scope

SHEDKING

So I just got my first descent spotter. I ended up getting a great deal on a vortex razor 27-60x85. I want a lighter weight tripod that I would actually want to pack. It seems like there are tons of options but with out getting my hands on one it's tuff. I would like some real world experience and advise on choosing one.
It will be used for hunting and shed hunting mostly scouting.
I appreciate any and all advise! Thanks

I have a slik 734 and a Slik 634 with a Benro VX20 head (of course, everything has arca mounts). I like them both. The head is fine. I don't have much to compare the head to.

I have a Manfrotto that is used for shooting and larger video cameras. Too heavy to pack.

Leofroto runs some great deals - I got an "open box" Leofoto tripod plus another 20% off from their factory store. I got a carbon fiber Leofoto that is light but designed to shoot off. I have a Slik CF tripod that is lighter for glassing

I purchased a Vivitar Aluminum Tripod on Ebay new. Its very light weight. Lots of adjustments . It came with a Zip Up Travel bag. It was not expensive at all. ( $35.00 to $40.00) I use it every week with my Leupold SX4 Pro Guide SX4 HD 20X to 60 X . IT a big scope and it sits steady and secure on the tripod.

I know you want it light, and there are many great light tripods. I would suggest a fluid head. If you spend hours glassing, the fluid head is worth the extra weight. They are so much smoother and it is much easier on your eyes and easier to correctly cover an area while glassing. Please give as much thought to the tripod head as you do the tripod itself.

I was at this crossroad 3 years ago. I finally ditched my Manfrotto because I wanted to use my tripod for more than just my spotter.

What's your budget?

I would get a RRS SOAR tripod and mount Arca mounts on your spotter and rifles. I finally did this and haven't looked back, It's light that we pack it all the time and use it for our spotter and my rifle. Best of both worlds

I was at this crossroad 3 years ago. I finally ditched my Manfrotto because I wanted to use my tripod for more than just my spotter.

What's your budget?

I would get a RRS SOAR tripod and mount Arca mounts on your spotter and rifles. I finally did this and haven't looked back, It's light that we pack it all the time and use it for our spotter and my rifle. Best of both worlds
Thanks I will look into these!!
My budget is 4-500 $
I was just looking at the manfrotto. Thanks for the input.

You can't beat the price and quality if field optics research. I love their tripods. Tripods have a lot of different features. For me I want legs that will go in all different directions. For spotting on steep slopes. I also don't want aluminum. It makes a different sound when bumped. So carbon it is. I also get the manfrotto heads. Ball and fluid. Check them out. You will be happy. I have at least four of their line. Good luck

Your base or tripod are everything on a spotting scope. A fluid head makes a much easier the track something Carbon fiber tripod are great light and strong. Gitzo and Really right stuff are spendy but great quailty and you can always get parts or serving on them. I had heard of a case were a guy was at a state park viewing point and the wind came up and his $3800.00 swaro spotting scope took a trip across a parking lot on a garage sale tripod. I am into Photography also and you may check a website call https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/search.php for used tripods I saw a gitzo carbo fiber fo$190. used people are always changing equipment just like guns. Hope this helps.

Your base or tripod are everything on a spotting scope. A fluid head makes a much easier the track something Carbon fiber tripod are great light and strong. Gitzo and Really right stuff are spendy but great quailty and you can always get parts or serving on them. I had heard of a case were a guy was at a state park viewing point and the wind came up and his $3800.00 swaro spotting scope took a trip across a parking lot on a garage sale tripod. I am into Photography also and you may check a website call https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/search.php for used tripods I saw a gitzo carbo fiber fo$190. used people are always changing equipment just like guns. Hope this helps.
Thanks I appreciate the info.

Recent Posts