Tripod with binos

Have to have the tripod. This is a game changer. It's a big game for me. I know something is out there. It's just a matter of time finding it. Way funner with a Tripod Recently I picked up a phone scope to use with my swaro 10x42 el It is my favorite hobby. Glassing while using a tripod. I bought a midrange head. Fluid is the better but it weights more. So I went with a ball head from manfrotto and have a light weight carbon fiber tripod. Good luck. I also bought the swaro bono harness for the tripod. It's a big tight but works Rick solid when you get it on.

I have found the Benro S2 head to allow extremely fluid movements and light weight. I just cut the handle down to be as short as possible while just allowing the grip piece to fit back on.

Tripod is really nice and valuable in certain situations. I see a lot more muleys with a tripod. Easier to see an ear in the shadows, for example. Then, throw on the spotter to judge them. If you have the tripod anyway, give it a try

I use tripods on my 15s and my 30x80 Doctors. Manfroto pan heads. The 15s from 300 yards to 800 and the the 30s to 2 miles

I am amazed how whenever people talk about binos, they never mention STABILIZED binos. In many case with stabilized, you can forget the tripod. There are several brands and many variations. Two I have are Canon's light weight 10 x 30 and Canon's largest, 18 x 50.

Lightweight tripods in wind are worthless. Many people waste money on high end optics when a stable platform could make the difference.
Used Mt 15xs and or 12x in Alaska, South Dakota, Hawaiii, New Mexico wind no problem. Not sure about wind in all states maybe it's different wind. There is a hook on most tripods to add weight, or a few rocks around the feet. What's worthless in the wind is trying to glass without a stable platform.

One of the best tripods out there is the outdoorsmans tripod. They have 5 or 6 different models as well as all the wanted accessories to attach your bino's to them. My set up ran around $600. They are sturdy and made in the usa. The outdoorsmans is located in fountain hills, Arizona.
outdoorsmans.com

One of the best tripods out there is the outdoorsmans tripod. They have 5 or 6 different models as well as all the wanted accessories to attach your bino's to them. My set up ran around $600. They are sturdy and made in the usa. The outdoorsmans is located in fountain hills, Arizona.
outdoorsmans.com
Excellent choice and yes, many options available. Good weight to functionality ratio. I have used their rifle rest attachment many times in the Feild. Looking at the rangefinder adapter now.

I've found little difference with or without a rest with 10x or less binoculars. I've found a huge benefit of a tripod with 15x binoculars. That's for me. I've been with others who seemed to get a huge benefit from a tripod with their low power binoculars. Try it and see if it's worth pulling out the tripod for your binoculars.

I've settled on binoculars on my chest and a spotting scope on a tripod, but what should matter to you is what works best for YOU.

I use an Outdoorsmans tripod and pan head, with Zeiss Victory FL 10x50 binoculars. It makes a huge difference for me. I never knew just how good these binos are until I put them on this tripod. First time out I glassed a buck at close to a mile and counted tines.

For a harness, I am using the KUIU one. It has pretty good protection for the glass if you end up crawling through the thick stuff and the suspension keeps them in place. They have buckles that release the glass if you want to mount them on a tripod or have your friend with crappy binos take a look with yours.

I have the XL size for the Leica HD-B in 10x42 and would definitely recommend them.

I am amazed how whenever people talk about binos, they never mention STABILIZED binos. In many case with stabilized, you can forget the tripod. There are several brands and many variations. Two I have are Canon's light weight 10 x 30 and Canon's largest, 18 x 50.

They are not as good optically. I've used stabilized binos on a boat and they are awesome. I just don't see a high magnification set of binos with a tiny objective being able to take apart a hillside looking for an ear twitch. The Zeiss 20x60 stabilized are cool, but north of $6K.

I have all Vortex glass, rifle scope, bino, spotter. I sometimes use my trekking pole as a "hasty rest" for the bino, but things are definitely clearer on the tripod. I've stopped carrying the spotter on hunts, but still use the tripod for my bino. Alaska Guide Creations bino pack harness comes with tiny fastex buckles which work great to get free of the bino harness when on the tripod without removing the whole rig. I don't recall off the top of my head which of their tripods I have but my next gear upgrade will likely be an Outdoorsman's tripod, as the Vortex unit I have is just plain too light and flexible. It was okay as a starter and sold me on the concept, but it is time to move up.

I used to look down my nose at guys looking through Bino's on a tripod ("silly rascals"). When I bought a pair of Leica 15's I quickly realized that I was the limiting factor in the relationship. I used my cheap vortex tripod and, as has been said numerous times, it was a game changer for me.

It completely changed the way we hunt. We used to sit and glass off our knees for 15 minutes, quickly "picking apart a hillside". We'd spot a few does, pick up our gear, hike to the next vantage point (which was silly because we could see the next spot just fine but we thought we needed to get different angles or minutely closer). We would hike miles and miles each day during the daylight. During mid-day we'd take naps, play washers, anything to pass the time away when "nothing's moving".

This year we stayed put for anywhere from 45 minutes to two hours picking apart an area before moving on. We couldn't do it any faster because it took that much time to rule out ALL OF THE DEER WE WEE FINDING!!! We have hunted this same area going on ten years and have never found so many deer. Bedded, feeding, thick timber, brushy hillsides, 50/50 snow/earth hillsides..... we found deer everywhere we looked. It was incredible.

I will NEVER hunt without my tripod and 15's again!! I too use an Alaska Guide Creations harness/bag. I love it. Wish I could afford to step up to an outdoorsman tripod but my Wife's jaw is still on the floor from the Leica's.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts