Tripod Shot Positions and Western Hunting

Does anyone following this thread have photos of there gun on an outdoorsmans tripod with one of my rails? I have very minimal photos of the outdoorsmans rails being utilized. Wanting it for our social media pages.

thanks,

Ken

Heres a position I was setup in today. It's all lava rock / lava flows down here and makes it extremely hard to get a good shot position. With a small flat'ish area I was able to lay prone on, and have the tripod setup on some super uneven rocks about 1.5 feet below me. I only had my 10x binos with me and wanted to get a better look at something with the scope.

I was very surprised how stable it was, although extremely uncomfortable to lay on that lava rock!

In extremely uneven terrain such as this, it makes a huge difference having tripod legs that have multiple locking positions. The promaster I'm using has 3 and I was using all of them.

It takes a while to get used to setting the tripod up on awkward terrain but if you practice it's pretty fast. Another thing to get comfortable with is the amount of tension you want on the head. I am using a ball head in the photo, and had the tension set tight enough that the gun wouldn't want to move under a slight amount of pressure. This lets me get the rifle positioned with more force, but then let everything "settle" when I'm on target.

Ya I know, I don't have a cheek weld, I only had 10 seconds on the photo timer to scramble over the rocks and get in position!
A37F62DC-9FAB-406E-AF0A-9AB97C403320.jpeg
87D673E4-1C5F-4B0D-8E44-E4DE680A56A4.jpeg

TIP. Turn the video on and capture a frame during review. That way you don't have to mess with timers. It'll allow you to get into the position you like and capture the moment.

Heres a position I was setup in today. It's all lava rock / lava flows down here and makes it extremely hard to get a good shot position. With a small flat'ish area I was able to lay prone on, and have the tripod setup on some super uneven rocks about 1.5 feet below me. I only had my 10x binos with me and wanted to get a better look at something with the scope.

I was very surprised how stable it was, although extremely uncomfortable to lay on that lava rock!

In extremely uneven terrain such as this, it makes a huge difference having tripod legs that have multiple locking positions. The promaster I'm using has 3 and I was using all of them.

It takes a while to get used to setting the tripod up on awkward terrain but if you practice it's pretty fast. Another thing to get comfortable with is the amount of tension you want on the head. I am using a ball head in the photo, and had the tension set tight enough that the gun wouldn't want to move under a slight amount of pressure. This lets me get the rifle positioned with more force, but then let everything "settle" when I'm on target.

Ya I know, I don't have a cheek weld, I only had 10 seconds on the photo timer to scramble over the rocks and get in position!

This is what I use. I taught a youth class last weekend and had my rifle on the tripod for the kids to play with. They did very very well with it. The nice thing about the head is you can set tension and move the rifle without the rifle moving on its own. They have other sizes but this head has worked well for me. I did change the arca clamp out for a skeletonized one off amazon for 15.00. Not a fan of their clamp for use with my arca rails.

What made you choose the CB-50D over Cretac SBH-50D, which is there shooting model? Just curious. I'm going to order 1 this week but not sure which one. I would use it for glassing and shooting.

What made you choose the CB-50D over Cretac SBH-50D, which is there shooting model? Just curious. I'm going to order 1 this week but not sure which one. I would use it for glassing and shooting.
Literally they are the same thing. They just renamed it.

Outdoorsman as back support.I do use it to shoot off with small QD on adapter for pic rail,same on a smaller tripod too.Made simple alum yoke on QD for Outddorsman

Attachments

• 338 chute.jpg
    338 chute.jpg
    899.5 KB · Views: 92
This is my heavy one, cost under $200 from Amazon....

View attachment 284893View attachment 284894View attachment 284895

And this is my light one, 2.5 lbs, cost $89 from Amazon, and after I went through it and cleaned it up and applied lock tite to all the screws, works great. Not as smooth as a $500+ set up of course, but has worked fantastic for everything from 300 yard pronghorn to 887 yard elk the last couple years.

View attachment 284896
What type of clamp does ur heavy artcise tripod use, I see it's an arca, but how does it swivel and what's it called, trying to find it on Amazon?

What type of clamp does ur heavy artcise tripod use, I see it's an arca, but how does it swivel and what's it called, trying to find it on Amazon?
Usually the clamp is just that, clamps to the rail. The head is what swivels. For cheap you can run a amazon Chinese made clamp. I run a skeletonized clamp for weight reduction for 3 years now, zero issues. I am looking hard at a RRS 50mm quick clamp tho.

This is my heavy one, cost under $200 from Amazon....

View attachment 284893View attachment 284894View attachment 284895

And this is my light one, 2.5 lbs, cost $89 from Amazon, and after I went through it and cleaned it up and applied lock tite to all the screws, works great. Not as smooth as a $500+ set up of course, but has worked fantastic for everything from 300 yard pronghorn to 887 yard elk the last couple years.

View attachment 284896
Hey Cody do you have a link for that light tripod? TIA

Hey Cody do you have a link for that light tripod? TIA
I think this is it, pretty much any of the cheaper ones without a center column will be similar. I will add, I only use it while hunting, for load developement and target shooting and such I use my heavier duty one, so this one gets less use. It is functional, but not meant for heavy duty use.

Amazon product ASIN B01IUO068S

I think this is it, pretty much any of the cheaper ones without a center column will be similar. I will add, I only use it while hunting, for load developement and target shooting and such I use my heavier duty one, so this one gets less use. It is functional, but not meant for heavy duty use.

Amazon product ASIN B01IUO068S
Ah good points. Maybe the heavier one would be better suited for my general use then. Not that I'll get to hunt anytime soon. But when I do I usually try to go light.