Tripod Shot Positions and Western Hunting

So I wonder how light a tripod a person could shoot off. My spotting scope tripod is under 2 lbs. I could see going a little heavier but nothing I fancy especially since I would never use it standing. What are the lightest options?
The lighter you go the less stable it will be, so there's always a toss up between being light and packable but being able to shoot off of it. If you never going to use it standing, then I would go with a shorter tripod that way you can keep it steady.

Ken

The lighter you go the less stable it will be, so there's always a toss up between being light and packable but being able to shoot off of it. If you never going to use it standing, then I would go with a shorter tripod that way you can keep it steady.

Ken
I will say though, even the light 2.5 lb aluminum ball head tripods, are significantly steadier than a Harris 9-13" bipod.

So I wonder how light a tripod a person could shoot off. My spotting scope tripod is under 2 lbs. I could see going a little heavier but nothing I fancy especially since I would never use it standing. What are the lightest options?
Mine is 3.5lbs. 2 things that make it less stabile then desirable usually is when the legs are in the closer together position and the taller you go. Mine can be used standing without issue for taller folks. Now to combat the stability issue..... put the front leg out and away from you and push into the tripod, if you need weight you can hang a rock and backpack etc off of it. Some tripods come with a hook that is designed to add weight to tie to the ground.

Tripods with a narrow or small head design where the legs attach generally flex more. The wider and beefier that platform, the more stabile the tripod. The negative, is that it adds weight. It's all about the trade off. So far mine is still the lightest, most stabile, for the price point I have come across. I have had lighter and cheaper, bit they didn't hold a candle to this one.

I am very pleased with my Feisol 3342 with RRS Universal leveling base and long spike feet. Total weight is 54.3oz (3.39lbs) Very stable to shoot off of, obviously not as stable as a larger diameter leg model like the 3372 but much lighter. The long spike feet really help to anchor it in position. If very windy I add weight using a black rubber bungee cord to hang my pack but it is important to Make sure the pack still touches the ground because it will move around causing instability when it swings in the wind. If I had to choose, I would leave the bipod home and take the tripod if weight was really crucial. The tripod us just to adaptable in overcoming terrain, brush, etc. it also serves multiple purposes at camp to hand my gravity water system and support my tarp awning off my Cimarron.

Attachments

• D76620EB-D15A-42D7-B830-17A646C072A0.jpeg
    D76620EB-D15A-42D7-B830-17A646C072A0.jpeg
    664.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 011B38BD-61C7-4FC4-A4CB-1E52F0D55749.jpeg
    011B38BD-61C7-4FC4-A4CB-1E52F0D55749.jpeg
    442 KB · Views: 180
  • DB5E289E-9A67-4540-82ED-C71580BA61F7.jpeg
    DB5E289E-9A67-4540-82ED-C71580BA61F7.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 155
This is my heavy one, cost under $200 from Amazon....

View attachment 284893View attachment 284894View attachment 284895

And this is my light one, 2.5 lbs, cost $89 from Amazon, and after I went through it and cleaned it up and applied lock tite to all the screws, works great. Not as smooth as a $500+ set up of course, but has worked fantastic for everything from 300 yard pronghorn to 887 yard elk the last couple years.

View attachment 284896
The Feisol looks nice but that's over my budget right now. I have heavier tripods that I like, but they have center posts. I'm looking for something that we can shoot prone with. I have 1 Salmon River arca adapter on one rifle, and I'm looking for a new head and tripod. Looking at the Sirui VA5 head, but not sure about the tripod.
Cody how about your light weight one from Amazon, what brand was that?

Chinese -

For the price, I think it's very good. It is not something I would use in competition, the movement isn't the smoothest, but keep the knobs loose, get in position, and snug them up a little and your good. The center post removes and let's you get prone. I disassembled it, cleaned it, lock tighted all the screws, and reassembled it and it has been great for me, plenty stable, and can get up to a high kneeling, but not quite standing without the center post. Plenty for me if I need to go light

I'm running the RRS SOAR TVC-24 w/ Anvil 30 BH. Single best piece of kit I've ever purchased. Went with the 24 as opposed to the 33 because Smaller diameter leafs and planned on hunting with it so wanted to cut a litte weight. Total around 3.5lbs. Sturdy as all get out. It's a hard buy, but not one you'll regret.

8297997F-A069-47E3-AD6E-329171808E10.jpeg

3A942C8C-06AB-4837-BC70-CFB45882A5D8.jpeg

1BA8D48E-FC8A-49CA-B650-A6CB75590753.jpeg

2E2334A0-9436-48D3-8C71-8160AAE3FCEB.jpeg

BE8932A0-D3FA-4D4C-817C-D5559DA5DE95.jpeg

1B6BDBD6-2401-4038-AE94-2CA45D401B10.jpeg

The Feisol looks nice but that's over my budget right now. I have heavier tripods that I like, but they have center posts. I'm looking for something that we can shoot prone with. I have 1 Salmon River arca adapter on one rifle, and I'm looking for a new head and tripod. Looking at the Sirui VA5 head, but not sure about the tripod.
What's your budget? IMHO this is like glass, not a place to go cheap. You don't have to spend RRS level money tho. That 3342 worth the coin man. Folds 180 to be more compact, prone is easy with it, can shoot standing, etc. For the money, its one of those that'll last you a life time and you'll actually use it. I instructed a youth class last weekend and the kids absolutely had a blast ringing steel off the tripod. Surprisingly they liked the standing shots from it. I think it was due to making it more challenging, seated off the tripod was too easy, they didn't miss.

Last edited:
AB2E6644-BDD0-4FBE-A1AA-74CBF997796E.jpeg
F7CCB76C-F481-4331-90F4-9D493D32B35D.jpeg

I'm using a suriu tripod and suriu ball head with area 419 rail attached to stock just in front of bottom metal. Whole set up weighs just under 2lbs . Same tripod I glass with then just pop off the Binos and throw on the gun. Extremely flexible with shooting position and quick. And one piece of gear instead of 2. Only complaint is the rail is where I naturally grab the stock to carry, making it slightly annoying to hold in hand. Haven't figured a work around for this yet.

K9txs…. Like your picture of your tripod set up. what kind of table do u have attached to it at bottom of the tripod ? I need one. Also I guess what is the set up that pistol is sitting ? You really got a great set up there. MD
It's a tripod shelf I made. Very sturdy. Google tripod shelf's and you'll find a bunch of them. I made mine after seeing one I liked. The specialty pistol you see is a 20 Vartarg. Great prairie dog setup.

I started this thread with the intent of people using it as a guide to take full advantage of using a tripod as a shooting platform. As someone who always has a tripod for glassing, it was an easy transition to start using it to shoot off of. This drove me to start making rails to help everyone else take advantage of this!

I will try to cover something weekly, from shooting positions, to what tripod heads and leg combos I've seen used the most, and the pros and cons of these such as weight, stability, and flexibility of use.

Up first, we have the good ol' prone position.

In the photos I am at a range, but it is a good example of an uphill shot where the tripod is taking the place of a "tall bipod". It's much more stable than a tall bipod would be in this position. If you notice the position of the arca rail (SRS arca+pic rail) it's pretty far forward on the stock. In other shooting positions with a tripod having the rifle balanced (usually close to the front action screw) is ideal. This is one of the few situations I find it much more stable to have it further away. Put in the field I call this "shooting off a shelf", where your on a flat area you can lay, but your rifle extends onto a drop off or steep slope.

If you are running a tripod without a center post, you can use it in place of a bipod in flatter shooting position.

Lots more to come,

Ken

46CFEAF6-5F86-4448-87D2-C2FC9AFE36A9.jpeg
4730A919-6D48-4D85-8A45-233065428D0F.jpeg