Tripod ideas

distantfoe

I'm looking for a tripod to use with a 80mm spotting scope and 15x binoculars. Will be used sitting on hill sides and standing.

It will be important to:
- accommodate my height of 6'4"
- collapses short enough to use in sitting position
- adjustable leg angles
- very sturdy/solid lock up
- relatively light

Also looking for a super solid pan head with quick detach features so could use some ideas with them as well.

You may like to look at the Swarovski CT Traveller Tripod with the DH101 head. These are constructed of carbon fiber. I have found mine to be very sturdy in the field but at 3.1lb it is easy to carry.
Len or Andy at Long Range Hunting may be able to give you a price.

A friend actually loaned me a ct101 travel to try with a spotting scope. I like the pan head but unfortunately it's not tall enough and the legs don't adjust to multiple angles. The quality is definitely inline with what I'm looking for.

After measuring mine I see that it comes in at a fraction under 72 inches so yes it may be a little short for you. It seems odd that the one you used doesn't have multi angled legs as mine has three locked in angle settings. I must admit it took me a while to work out how to adjust the angle when I first got the tripod. You have to push up a button from underneath in the crutch of each leg.

I just got my RRS TFCT-24L in a couple days ago. I only had time to unbox and inspect it. Very lite and tripod and mounts I got for it are of the highest quality available.

Kiwikid - good call! With your insight and a bit of tinkering, I was able to disengage the leg lock and adjust the angle. (This particular tripod has seen better days, 2 of the 3 latches were pretty much seized). I'm starting to really like the ct travel tripod/head, it's a bit on the short side but extending the center post all the way up makes it work. Thanks!

I'm just glad that I could be of some help. My search began after a Chamois hunt in the Southern Alps here in NZ. I wanted the Swarovski ATX spotting scope and then went looking for a tripod. I looked at Gitzo (NZ$1900) and Manfrotto both of which were very nice but didn't tick all the boxes. They were either not tall enough (I'm 6') or too heavy, the Gitzo was so heavy if I took it I would have to leave my lunch behind :(. Finally at a gun show I got to play with the Swarovski and it has been fantastic plus it was about half the price of the Gitzo :).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.