Tripod head help

ifgator

I have a Kowa spotting scope with 88mm objective. Then I have the Outdoorsmans pan head. It is a quality head and great for going light. However, I don't like having 2 different knobs when I have to quickly get setup and get on a deer. Sometimes seconds are everything. Any recommendations for a head that all motions and tightening are controlled by the handle?

I think you are looking for a standard ball head, instead of the pan head you have now. I'm not sure on the best ones to buy, I'm sure you can google "tripod ball head" and that should show you some options. Outdoorsman makes a pistol grip head that could be an option also if it will handle the weight, may have to call them and ask. On a side note if you are interested in selling the head you have now, I might be interested in it...

Thank you for your reply. I have been googling quite a bit. I pan a lot when glassing. After I started this thread, I was talking to my brother in law and his old head used a tension knob for panning left and right and then twisting the handle would control vertical tension which makes sense to me. Also I started this because the tripod head descriptions don't do a good job telling you if the handle controls tension.
Also I bought the outdoorsman head after my Mule deer hunting guide had one on my January Mexico hunt and I liked the thought of a light weight head for back country. Meanwhile on the hunt I realized I was losing function of my left leg. Soon after I found I have permanent damage to my spinal cord called myelopathy and I've had some really intensive surgeries. It kills me but my backcountry hunting is more of a dream now then a reality. Anyway that head as a result has had minimal use. I also noticed it's been on backorder. Send me a PM with what you would want to pay. I usually don't sell my stuff because I like nice backups or for the wife.

I think you are looking for a standard ball head, instead of the pan head you have now. I'm not sure on the best ones to buy, I'm sure you can google "tripod ball head" and that should show you some options. Outdoorsman makes a pistol grip head that could be an option also if it will handle the weight, may have to call them and ask. On a side note if you are interested in selling the head you have now, I might be interested in it...

I think I would sell it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.