Tripod for Spotting Scope

Maverick254

I recently purchased a spotting scope and need a tripod for it. I am just starting to look but have been told the Vortex and Manfrotto brands are good. I am interested in the handle grip which may limit my options. Obviously something not real heavy as I already feel like a pack mule with the other gear I carry. Sturdiness is the number one factor. It will be used for hunting out West.
Does anyone on here have a model they recommend?

Stockbroker

Manfrotto carbon fiber with the squeeze handle head. I’ve used it for about 8 years around the country, holds my Labradar every trip to the range. Spendy, and worth it. If mine disappeared tomorrow I would buy an identical without hesitation.
63AD9650-4650-4226-B364-703553403EF6.jpeg
AD795F26-257A-4204-AD9B-AEDDCC269F5D.jpeg

Buck Fever

For a scope or a Labradar, I am not sure the pistol grip ball head makes sense if weight is a big concern.

I bought a pretty cheap carbon fiber China tripod and it has a ball head that would be good for a Labradar. For a scope, I like a telescope style slow motion control, leveling heads and full telescope style gimbal type alt/azimuth mounts.

Orion makes a small slow motion control for about $40 which is pretty cool and will let you aim the scope without shaking it too much.

For more like $150 you can get a Kenko mount which is pretty awesome but uses a Vixen dovetail, it's pretty bulky and not terribly light. I have one on top of an old Manfrotto leveling head and a nicer carbon fiber China tripod but it's going to have a fairly large spotting scope with Binoviewer, a binocular LRF, a red dot spotting scope and a Kestrel.

You can get away with a lot less if it's just a spotter.

I also bought a cool folding three legged stool to use it while seated which can let you use a shorter, lighter and more compact tripod.

Whitesheep

Outdoormans stuff is pricy, but falls in the buy once cry once category. I have a two piece tripod with the grip head and pan attachment I purchased in 2008 for an AK sheep/bear hunt. It gets used all the time and has been banged around the forest and desert for years. I did have to take it in twice for repairs, but no questions asked. If you own it, they will fix it. I recently added a binocular attachment and wish I had done so years ago. It too was rather spendy, but it sure is stable, light and rugged.

Whitesheep

Congratulations Maverick254. You will not be sorry once you cover the payment. I wish I had been this smart on the binoculars I have purchased over the years. I could have two Leica's instead of one and a collection of lower priced stuff that just isn't good enough.

Last edited:

bobinpa

Thanks everyone for your input. I bit the bullet and ordered a setup from Outdoorsmans. Anxiously waiting for delivery to try it out!
If you don't mind me asking, what did you settle on? I am in the same boat and I am undecided on the tripod. I have never had a really good set up so I don't know where to start.... You can PM me if you want.
Thanks

Maverick254

If you don't mind me asking, what did you settle on? I am in the same boat and I am undecided on the tripod. I have never had a really good set up so I don't know where to start.... You can PM me if you want.
Thanks
I settled on a tall tripod from Outdoorsmans. This tripod allows me to use it in the sitting, kneeling, or standing positions. I got the pistol grip head with the quick release panner. The panner allows me to scan left and right smoothly without moving the pistol grip.

I also want to say that Ryan at Outdoorsmans replied to my emails and even called when needed to respond to my questions. I didn’t know exactly which pieces I needed so he walked me through my options. Awesome customer service!
Tripod is very light and sturdy!

Attachments

• 714B157B-C62F-4A53-9848-8E3EE70A0ED2.jpeg
    714B157B-C62F-4A53-9848-8E3EE70A0ED2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 71
  • 02A5339D-014F-4962-9EE8-EF53A5266C7C.jpeg
    02A5339D-014F-4962-9EE8-EF53A5266C7C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68

AkBirder300

Any opinions on the primos trigger stick with the spotter adapter?
Tried it, and I much prefer the carbon tripod with outdoorsmans head for spotting scope. That being said, I love the primos trigger stick tripod for shooting off, so now we just bring both!