Trimming weight off a Sako Trg42?

Buck3

Just as the title suggests.
Just trying to figure how much one could trim off of a trg. If possible to save a little weight it might be a contender for walking elk gun.
Sako lists 11.75lbs for the 338L. Say you were to rebarrel and possibly go with a 300NM and use a Proof Research CF barrel is it possible to save 2lbs? Is there anywhere else to save weight?

I've had a trg22 and loved it.

You'll save weight with a C.F. barrel for sure, but 2 lbs is a stretch. A lighter scope will help you get to a reasonable carry weight.

Ok, I was wondering how light you could get, because the stock and ergonomics fit really well. I was starting to add up the cost of putting together another rifle and then started down the rabbit hole of what if's and will this or that work. I was originally playing with the idea of picking up a trg42 in 300wm, but then started to think what if I was going pick up a 338L and rebarrel it to a 300 Norma.

I'm sure that I have a disease of some kind.

Ok, I was wondering how light you could get, because the stock and ergonomics fit really well. I was starting to add up the cost of putting together another rifle and then started down the rabbit hole of what if's and will this or that work. I was originally playing with the idea of picking up a trg42 in 300wm, but then started to think what if I was going pick up a 338L and rebarrel it to a 300 Norma.

I'm sure that I have a disease of some kind.

I can confirm that you definitely have a disease...:eek:;)

Here is a photograph of the stock colors:

serveimage

Substituting barrels between steel and Carbon Fiber, you achieve some weight savings:

Bartlein #13 = 4 lbs 10.5 ounces

Proof Sendero = 3 lbs 9.92 ounces

So roughly a savings of 10.58 ounces from the factories. There will be slight differences when the barrels are trimmed at the muzzle and the breech is threaded and chambered.

Scopes, rails and rings can get to be a very personal portion of the set up so I suggest looking at the scope power you might want to use then choose the best glass possible for the price you want to afford.

The Swarovski Z8i 2-16x50 P L that I've used is 23.8 ounces while the 6x range is 21.4 ounces. You might find something lighter but be aware of the quality of the glass.

Rings are available in aluminum as well as Titanium now, so an ounce could be realized as a difference in savings. Not much really.

Bipods and slings can really up your weight unless you intentionally shop for the lightest and the most sturdy as both of these will affect the carry weight and the balance of the rifle.

Enjoy the process of the selection!

I was thinking .338 which is limited to the Sendero. But if you use the 300 Norma Mag then yes you can use that lighter barrel.

It's a tough one. I liked the ego's, trigger, bipod, action and magazines on the trg. Downside was the weight and it's going to cost a little more then a full custom build.

Figured down the road I'd order a defiance hunter action with a 3pos safety, manners or McMillan stock, and a proof barrel. So I'm guessing it would be around ~8-8.5 lbs depending on the dbm and a few details. Which could also be pushing $4k pretty easy depending on those details.

So a used trg42 proof barrel and install isn't that much more. But if it's 2 lbs more it factors in.

The trg22 and 42 have a barrel contour very similar to a MTU. Its a thick heavy 27.5" barrel swear the barral alone feels like a 10lb piece of lead filled rigid pipe What do the bartlien MTUs weigh like 7lbs @ 26" ?

I have a trg22 26" and when researching a rebarrel a guy had done a hardy CF same lengthIIRC and it dropped 1.5 lbs off. So that may help. The total naked rifle with fixed stock I think is 11.75 lb. Not actually that bad compared to the other mil tac rifles with that barrel length you see in 338. One of the lightest.

So if you can save 1.5 on a 22 then with the 42 go to a 24" and you might get close to 2lb reduction. Just a guess though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.