Trimming guard screws?

300 Rem

I recently purchased a Bell and Carlson Alaskan II stock for a Rem 700 BDL SS .300 RUM. The factory guard screws are too short and so I called B and C and they sent me longer screws.

These screws are way too long and need to be fitted. What's the best way to trim and fit these screws? I've conducted a search on this forum, but if I have to go out and spend a ton of money on tools, I might as well pay a gunsmith to do the job. I have basic tools and would like to do it myself if possible.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

A simple belt sander does great at shortening screws and then restoring a slight chamfer for a lead in. I've also used a hacksaw and cleaned it up with a file.

You can also just order screws from McMaster Carr that are the correct length.

Thanks MTBULLET and Browninglover1. I'll probably try it myself and if I don't end up with a nice job, then purchase the correct size screws.

A dremel with the metal cutting disc will make a quick clean cut for you on them as long as you have them held in a vise. Before I got my newest dremel I used my bench grinder on the last set I had.

I second the belt or disk sander. If you live nearby I will do it for you. N/C Takes about 20 minutes to do both. A LRH benefit.
Shawn

Thanks Shawn, that's a generous offer and I appreciate it. Unfortunately I don't live close (Salem). I have a disc sander and vise, so possibly I'll try that method.
Kevin

A dremel with the metal cutting disc will make a quick clean cut for you on them as long as you have them held in a vise. Before I got my newest dremel I used my bench grinder on the last set I had.

Thanks for the advice. This sounds like a viable option.

Awe well. Maybe next time. Just take your time and sneak up on it. I like to fit them where they are perfectly flush for 100% thread engagement.

Awe well. Maybe next time. Just take your time and sneak up on it. I like to fit them where they are perfectly flush for 100% thread engagement.

That's what I'd like to do, get them flush with full thread engagement. Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure and take my time!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.