Trimming cases

CjC73

How do you all trim your rifle cases after depriming?

Just curious as to how others do it. I'm still new to reloading but looking to step up and start to load all my own ammo. I started just with my 243 and used the Lee case length gage to trim to and then deburr inside and outside edges.

Thanks!

I load for over 30 cartridges, some require 'special' priming and trimming tools due to their size/length.
For 'normal' cartridges, I use an RCBS Trim Pro with universal shell holder, this will only accomodate cases up to 416 Rigby rim size. It also utilizes 'shell plates' if I switch to it. I have made shell plates for 500NE and 505 Gibbs for this, but found the RCBS trimmer for these cases to do a better job.
I trim in large quantities, always 100 cases or a lot more, so I adapted my trimmers to accept a battery drill attachment, saves my damaged shoulders from more injury.

Cheers.
:)

Check out the Lee case length gauge/trimmer and lock stud. If you have a drill you can speed things up with this arrangement.

Check out the Lee case length gauge/trimmer and lock stud. If you have a drill you can speed things up with this arrangement.

Yes...I have this already. Just have to invest in more of them for each caliber I have I guess.

I also use the case lenght gauge....set the trimmer into a drill and hold cases in hand....never taking off very much at anytime...and always checking lenght for proper trim.....

Have a lyman case trimmer and a Worlds finest trimmer. (WFT) Can't ever seem to get the WFT dead on target. Always off by just a bit.

I just switched to the Frankford Arsenal case prep center and have found after playing with it some that it is almost as consistent as a RCBS three way cutter. I saw variations around 1-1.5 thousandths at the most. That's just as good as new Lapua and Nosler brass, so it will work for me and it's quite quick.

Thanks all.... I think for now i'll keep using the case length gages. A lot of good suggestions for when I decide to upgrade though.

Point of interest..... many factory/sammi chambers incorporate quite a bit of space to the end of the chamber. I suppose it is for any variables found in some manufacturers ammo, who knows for sure.

I have measured several Factory chambers that were in the .050"-.070" range. Typically you can go several firings/sizing cycles before the brass gets close. It is conceivable that you could wear out the brass before you need to trim it! What I am saying if you KNOW the distance to the end of the chamber you can forgo trimming for quite a while.

If you or a gunsmith used a custom reamer you can use the specs to know where the end of the chamber without measuring.

To measure the distance to the end of the chamber you will need a Sinclair chamber length gauge:

https://www.sinclairintl.com/reload...s/sinclair-chamber-length-gage-prod32925.aspx

video on using the chamber gauge

If you have access to a lathe you can make your own gauges. This information is from Varmint Al's website (thanks Al):
https://www.varmintal.com/alath.htm#Chamber_Length_Gauge

I use my lathe for trimming my cases. Use a cartridge holder I salvaged from an old Lyman case trimmer held in the jaws for the lathe. Use a stop for the carriage.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.